Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many antivirii's can you install?

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil
    quote:
    I feel that we sometimes tend to be a little too elitist and geek, thus losing touch with the realities of the world beyond the ivory tower. ..... People who wouldn't know how to configure a firewalled router if their very lives depended on it, and who probably couldn't afford one anyway?
    1. Broadband Internet Access is considered the "world of the ivory tower"?
    2. If they can't manage to configure a hardware firewall, they won't be able to correctly configure a software firewall either.
    3. If you can't afford to purchase the NECESSARY equipment/software (which is really relatively inexpensive compared to other technologies home users purchase and use on a regular basis) to keep your data safe when you're on the internet, you should either:

A. Not be on the internet at home until you can save up for such equipment/software
    B. Not have anything on your computer that you'd worry about someone getting their hands on if you DO connect to the internet AND be willing to face the consequences if someone breaks into your unsecured computer and uses it to attack others (via jump point, ddos, spam gateway, etc).

As I said in my previous posts, obviously hardware firewalls really aren't a viable choice for dial-up users. But at the same time, dial-up really isn't a viable choice to provide connectivity to a home network either.

If you're on Dial-up, you should also be on an OS that is properly hardened, and that doesn't stay dialed-in when you're not actively using it. Most OSs these days have built in firewalling features that can be configured, which makes the need for a 3rd party software firewalling product unnecessary.

1. Broadband Internet Access is considered the "world of the ivory tower"?
    No, I did not say that.............you merely imply it, but I would point out that only the other day you complained about people not reading others' posts............"ipse dixit"?

What I DID say, though was that there is a fair proportion of the World who just do not have access to broadband in any shape or form................my country (the UNited Kingdom) for example, only has around 60% physical coverage..............and that is for those who can afford it! There are many families, even in the OECD countries, who can afford a second hand computer and allow their children on the internet, only through their home telephone lines.

2. If they can't manage to configure a hardware firewall, they won't be able to correctly configure a software firewall either.
    Absolute garbage old chap.............They install out of the bag............just set it to maximum, and away you go.................not as good as a professionally configured firewall, but one hell of a lot better than your suggestion of the other day that none was required.............you were pulled up on that......."Blaster"????????????? you would be infected in less than 20 minutes? Anyways, if they bring it to someone who has an idea, they can have it set up very easily.........no hardware, no wires......

3. If you can't afford to purchase the NECESSARY equipment/software (which is really relatively inexpensive compared to other technologies home users purchase and use on a regular basis) to keep your data safe when you're on the internet, you should either:

Neccessary in whose opinion might I ask?...............also, much of the World is NOT the United States of America............so "relatively inexpensive" is about the most redundant phrase I have heard in a long time................relative to what?

A. Not be on the internet at home until you can save up for such equipment/software
    Who (of any conceivable importance) says.................don't you think that people in less well off families and countries don't have ambitions for their children............do you have any young relations?...........what do you want for them?

As I said in my previous posts, obviously hardware firewalls really aren't a viable choice for dial-up users. But at the same time, dial-up really isn't a viable choice to provide connectivity to a home network either.
    I agree with the first part of that statement, as I said..................but "home network"................what planet are you living on eh?

If you're on Dial-up, you should also be on an OS that is properly hardened, and that doesn't stay dialed-in when you're not actively using it
    The first part is correct, the second part shows that you live in America and are grossly ignorant of the rest of the World..............has it possibly occurred to you that in other DEMOCRATIC COUNTRIES, local calls are not free...... you might have to pay betweeen 1 and 25 cents (per minute) for that connection?............obviously not?

Most OSs these days have built in firewalling features that can be configured, which makes the need for a 3rd party software firewalling product unnecessary.
    ........and I wonder why Bill Gates has extended support for Win98/SE/ME/NT?................and HE should know.

I consider this to be an International forum, and I am not hearing any Internationalism from you old chap.

Please think about my comments..............

Like others said, don't install useless crap that claims that they have the "best" security unless they were tested. dont forget, too much installed prgm on ur computer slows your comp down.

Regal Making Handler
    I consider this to be an International forum, and I am not hearing any Internationalism from you old chap.
    Nihil,

I do not think it so much a lack of internationalizm, as a disrespect for the home user.

Who now make up the vast majority of internet users.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Indeed, we can't act as if every home user should be so savvy, or wait until they have the funds to "properly" set themselves up. I think this is where we start to get too smart for our own good, and I'll definately be very weary of becoming such as I seek to develop myself as and become an IT professional.

Everyone has their own methods too. Some HW, some SW, some both, and you can't march around saying your method is superior. Obviously there's more than one way to go about things.

ok it seems that firewalls have been pretty much discussed.

antivirus software and trojan removers contain signiture files or definitions, that is pieces of the virus/trojan code to compare against files that are on or trying to get on the users computer. each anti-whatever program keeps it sigs in a folder that is excluded from its own search but not from the searches of other 'anti' programs. some do a fine job of protecting their definitions while other just depend on the user not using another program. in other words using more than one anti-virus/trojan program can be self defeating.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hi, troops I thought I'd share our (the store I work at) game plan

first a good AV, Norton 2003
    next, A second good AV, AVG free by grisoft.com

I know what some of you are thinking, but AVG catches stuff Norton misses and Norton catches stuff AVG misses. and they do work side by side

Ad-Aware, SpyBot.

No Software firewalls, use the router and it's software.

If the router is not enough then a Brick from Symantec (just short of $1000), But only for businesses with Sesitive data on a lan that is visable to the cloud

Now for the big brag, Me dons the asbestos underware, this is how my home lan (with a wireless access point is set up) and I have not had a sick machine exept for stupidity by my children for more than a year

just my two cents

CRING FROM THE FLAMES
    tired of being called an ass

Interesting...double AVed, so it can be reasonably done...

Originally posted here by oldguy
    Hi, troops I thought I'd share our (the store I work at) game plan

first a good AV, Norton 2003
    next, A second good AV, AVG free by grisoft.com

I know what some of you are thinking, but AVG catches stuff Norton misses and Norton catches stuff AVG misses. and they do work side by side

CRING FROM THE FLAMES
    Are they really catching the others' misses? Or are they catching the others' quaranteed files?

I had an experience similar to this. After running one program, I would run the other, only to discover that another virus was till present! After the quarantee, I would run the other program, and loop myself in an endless cycle of depression and hunger, fighting against all odds to track the suckers down. Only after looking at the LOCATIONS of the virus did it dawn on me that they were detecting each others file, changing the "quaranteen" status (not sure on the proper termino-lingo-gy) and set itself up for another...set...up.

I would suggest ONE good antivirus program, or a suite of programs that are meant to be used together. As long as the definitions are up-to-date, and the antivirus software itself has not been hit by an antivirus-virus, then you should be good to go on the software side. (Anti-virusly speaking)

As far as the other crap - SpyBot, Ad-Aware, hardware router. No use with doubly double redunant reduncies of having a "hardware" AND "software" router. It's like putting paper plate under a ceramic one in case the food goes through the clay...
    I\'m back.

I knew I'd catch some with this ,but it works and work well.

Our store has a bunch -hundreds- of boxes setup this way and

I forgot to mention the most important part, keep them up to date.

We have had instances where the two AV's would fight each other resulting in very poor performance from the system, if this shows up just uninstall the AVG, I trust Norton more.

If you can get the customer to keep the virus scanner up to date then the only time you hear from them is when they need ink for their printers
    tired of being called an ass