Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring our boys and girls home, the US troop situation

Bring our boys and girls home, the US troop situation

I thought this might make for an interesting conversation, or a side thought. I hear it on the news almost every day, I hear it on the web, even in conversations with those that aren't in the military and this always seems to come up.

First off I cannot vouch for any military other than the US military, as their situations may be very different. However the US military is an all volunteer military. No one forces you to join, and you are even asked if you are being forced to join on one of the initial interviews. There are five branches of the military you can join. And on top of that there is a job selection process to where you get the option of choosing your job, depending on the needs of the service, and also your score on their placement test (asvab). If someone signs up to be infantry in the Army, they are well aware of what they are getting into when they sign up, keeping in mind that they weren't forced, and they have some control over the job they pick.

On top of that, the fact is that a large majority of our forces in Iraq have volunteered to go overseas. Where I serve, EVERYONE that has went to Iraq has volunteered to do so. People want to help to do their part over there. Some of the larger forces that are in Iraq were told they were going to deploy, but still they volunteered for the job, and were aware of the fact of what they were doing.

Another fact of this is that the media, and people in general tend to think that the government is sending "boys and girls" to their deaths, and thats simply not the case. Men and women are over there. There is a huge rank structure which includes older men and women just as well as the younger new recruits, who at the very least should be considered men and women.

Its a very sad event when someone over there dies serving their country, but the simple fact is if they didn't believe in what they were doing they wouldn't be over there in the first place. So pretty please, with sugar on top, when you hear someone say "bring our boys and girls home" think about the volunteer situation.

Bring our boys and girls home, the US troop situation

I thought this might make for an interesting conversation, or a side thought. I hear it on the news almost every day, I hear it on the web, even in conversations with those that aren't in the military and this always seems to come up.

First off I cannot vouch for any military other than the US military, as their situations may be very different. However the US military is an all volunteer military. No one forces you to join, and you are even asked if you are being forced to join on one of the initial interviews. There are five branches of the military you can join. And on top of that there is a job selection process to where you get the option of choosing your job, depending on the needs of the service, and also your score on their placement test (asvab). If someone signs up to be infantry in the Army, they are well aware of what they are getting into when they sign up, keeping in mind that they weren't forced, and they have some control over the job they pick.

On top of that, the fact is that a large majority of our forces in Iraq have volunteered to go overseas. Where I serve, EVERYONE that has went to Iraq has volunteered to do so. People want to help to do their part over there. Some of the larger forces that are in Iraq were told they were going to deploy, but still they volunteered for the job, and were aware of the fact of what they were doing.

Another fact of this is that the media, and people in general tend to think that the government is sending "boys and girls" to their deaths, and thats simply not the case. Men and women are over there. There is a huge rank structure which includes older men and women just as well as the younger new recruits, who at the very least should be considered men and women.

Its a very sad event when someone over there dies serving their country, but the simple fact is if they didn't believe in what they were doing they wouldn't be over there in the first place. So pretty please, with sugar on top, when you hear someone say "bring our boys and girls home" think about the volunteer situation.

Thad,

Thank you for your awareness. As unfortunate as it is, the cost of our freedom has always been very expensive. We have always paid dearly with the loss of our loved ones and of course with our resources as well. The world we live in is actually very dangerous. We probably wouldn't know that here in the U. S. Because, other than some gang related activities and occasionally felons running around, we were fairly safe. It was a pretty non-violent place to live, for at least my 51 years.

A problem we face now and in the future, is that, something has seriously changed. The scrimmages between the terrorists and their targets was generally held overseas and the affects were not felt very often in the U. S. On that September 11, the field of play now included our country as well. The terrorists now know that they can cross the oceans and strike here in the heart of the U. S. Make no mistake about it. It's not over and we have prevented countless such activities after 9-11.

Unfortunately we can't just pullout. Iraq's neighboring countries would just love that to happen. After all, Iran has wanted that real estate forever. Until we can stabilize Iraq and have them standing on their own, we owe it to the innocent folks over there to do just that. When I say we, I mean everyone, not just the few.

It's not for the oil either as some would like to claim. Did we take Kuwait's oil from them the last time? Have we ever conquered for the natural resources of another country? Nope! We buy it. I will admit we have a serious interest in their oil, and we use a whole bunch of it. However we don't just take and we never have. We pay our way. So what is it?

We can't just leave them alone and mind our own business. They made it our business and concern because those cells were growing out of control and of course, when they attacked us. Additionally we made some blunders over there as well. But regardless, that area is a terrorist breeding ground and they will come find us. Good ole Iraq and many of the other countries over there provide not only support for those critters but they create, house, and train them as well. So what are we to do, stand idly by and wait for them to strike again?

Just some ramblings from an ole grump…..

Thad,

Thank you for your awareness. As unfortunate as it is, the cost of our freedom has always been very expensive. We have always paid dearly with the loss of our loved ones and of course with our resources as well. The world we live in is actually very dangerous. We probably wouldn't know that here in the U. S. Because, other than some gang related activities and occasionally felons running around, we were fairly safe. It was a pretty non-violent place to live, for at least my 51 years.

A problem we face now and in the future, is that, something has seriously changed. The scrimmages between the terrorists and their targets was generally held overseas and the affects were not felt very often in the U. S. On that September 11, the field of play now included our country as well. The terrorists now know that they can cross the oceans and strike here in the heart of the U. S. Make no mistake about it. It's not over and we have prevented countless such activities after 9-11.

Unfortunately we can't just pullout. Iraq's neighboring countries would just love that to happen. After all, Iran has wanted that real estate forever. Until we can stabilize Iraq and have them standing on their own, we owe it to the innocent folks over there to do just that. When I say we, I mean everyone, not just the few.

It's not for the oil either as some would like to claim. Did we take Kuwait's oil from them the last time? Have we ever conquered for the natural resources of another country? Nope! We buy it. I will admit we have a serious interest in their oil, and we use a whole bunch of it. However we don't just take and we never have. We pay our way. So what is it?

We can't just leave them alone and mind our own business. They made it our business and concern because those cells were growing out of control and of course, when they attacked us. Additionally we made some blunders over there as well. But regardless, that area is a terrorist breeding ground and they will come find us. Good ole Iraq and many of the other countries over there provide not only support for those critters but they create, house, and train them as well. So what are we to do, stand idly by and wait for them to strike again?

Just some ramblings from an ole grump…..

Hi Guys,

Just a foreigner's view.................when we went to the Falklands back in '82, it was "bad luck" for the guys who did not get the trip............if a soldier does not like what he is doing, then I guess he is in the wrong job?

I can understand the problems with Vietnam, but that was a long time ago? this is rather different?

God bless them all! (and we are official players this time)

Hi Guys,

Just a foreigner's view.................when we went to the Falklands back in '82, it was "bad luck" for the guys who did not get the trip............if a soldier does not like what he is doing, then I guess he is in the wrong job?

I can understand the problems with Vietnam, but that was a long time ago? this is rather different?

God bless them all! (and we are official players this time)

thadbme,

I posted those exact words in another thread you may have read here. I have one question for you considering your views on our "Boys and Girls". Have you ever been in any of our armed forces? I have, I was also duped into believing that everything the recruiter told me was the gospel truth. I joined the Air Force under their (now defunked) guaranteed enlistment program that allowed me to sign a contract that guaranteed that I was going to recieve particular training to enter into a particular career. 30 days later I was sent home with an honorable discharge because they couldn't (or wouldn't) hold up their end of the contract. Not only did that ruin a career I had dreamed of as a child and worked very hard to achieve, but it also showed me how "honest" and "truthful" our military leaders are. I would have "volunteered" too to fly into battle then. But now?? I am not so sure. I just wonder how many of our troops we have stationed over there now wish they never went, and how many of them are cursing their recruiters for lying to them and filling their heads with false hopes. I am still waiting to see if we ever find any of the dreaded WOMD...

As for pulling out of there now? It is way too late for that, we have already destroyed any hope of that. As for oil? Do the math... I am convinced this is a war for oil and capitolism. Our "enemy" sees us as a threat to their entire existance and to their religion. This war will not end soon. The dice have been rolled by both sides, and neither side is going to give up.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

thadbme,

I posted those exact words in another thread you may have read here. I have one question for you considering your views on our "Boys and Girls". Have you ever been in any of our armed forces? I have, I was also duped into believing that everything the recruiter told me was the gospel truth. I joined the Air Force under their (now defunked) guaranteed enlistment program that allowed me to sign a contract that guaranteed that I was going to recieve particular training to enter into a particular career. 30 days later I was sent home with an honorable discharge because they couldn't (or wouldn't) hold up their end of the contract. Not only did that ruin a career I had dreamed of as a child and worked very hard to achieve, but it also showed me how "honest" and "truthful" our military leaders are. I would have "volunteered" too to fly into battle then. But now?? I am not so sure. I just wonder how many of our troops we have stationed over there now wish they never went, and how many of them are cursing their recruiters for lying to them and filling their heads with false hopes. I am still waiting to see if we ever find any of the dreaded WOMD...

As for pulling out of there now? It is way too late for that, we have already destroyed any hope of that. As for oil? Do the math... I am convinced this is a war for oil and capitolism. Our "enemy" sees us as a threat to their entire existance and to their religion. This war will not end soon. The dice have been rolled by both sides, and neither side is going to give up.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

You can read letters from Soldiers who have served during the "War on Terror" here... Right from the horses mouth. They offer quite a differing opinion...

You can read letters from Soldiers who have served during the "War on Terror" here... Right from the horses mouth. They offer quite a differing opinion...