Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One External to Multiple Internal IPs

You're looking for 'Split DNS' , look on google

Banned
    to answer some questions no i dont have 50 physical servers, I am trying to build something to run a hell of a lot of Virtual Machines for learning and testing purposes, so lets say 10 machines all run SSH and FTP, i need it so that box1.domain.org goes to 1 of the machines and box2.domaind.org goes to another.

Bleh this is getting to complicated, i think half of you dont understand me, and this is probably not even possible.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Split or Double DNS won't work from a single external IP to a series of internal, (private IP's), because the DNS will have to resolve to private addresses the the remote clients won't be able to directly connect to across the public network...... Think again....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    well im not really going to worry about it, someone has told me before that there might be some sort of firewall software out there that might be bale to do it.

thanks for the 'help'

Banned
    There must be a solution... On my host, if you try to connect to a subdomain that doesn't exist, you end up at the subdomain that comes first alphabetically (in stead of getting a DNS or 404 error). How hard can it be to fetch that subdomain-request, and redirect it to the actual subdomain...

Banned
    I think that the posibility is DEFINATELY there.... but the question is has it been done before? I definately dont have the programming skills to code a gateway that would do this, but i'm sure someone out there could.

I never really looked at a disected packet to see waht it looks like but i'm sure there is a tag somewhere for host address that is being requested.... and on that note they can easily do a if host address = box1.domain.org then forward to 192.168.20.4 .....

my theory, and it would definately save people tons of money and solve the problem of IP shortage until IPv6 is active

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Well.... You can point multiple hosts to the same IP address but once you hit the machine it's controlled by the port the request is sent to. Same applies to a NAT firewall/router. No firewall is going to be able to sort that out because they really don't care about the domain name, they care about the IP address and port. Since you are NATting at the firewall you are restricted to forwarding ports.... Thus, a single port can only be forwarded to a single machine... If you want the same port number forwarded to two different machine you are SOL.... You'll confuse the router if it lets you try and nothing should go through.

If you want to provide the same service on multiple machines you need multiple public addresses..... Thus you will have to pay. Alter the port numbers and provide a way for your remote clients to select the resource without having to worry about the port numbers and you can make it work..... otherwise, it's not possible.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Amen Tigershark.

( I had to throw that in to reach 50 posts today, haha )

Banned
    I still think it is somewhat possible, there is just nothing out there right now to support it.

Sure it would add alot of overhead, but it would basically be like the overhead store-and-forward causes.

I would add that in some cases you can have two or more "similar" services listening in different ports. For instance, you can have several smtp or ftp or web servers listening on different ports. The problem then becomes that the client or request maker need to know this ahead of time and specify which port to use to make the connection.

Since web browsers can make requests via names, you can have more than one "virtual" host using the same ip and the web server will use tools like "host header resolution" to determine which "virtual" to answer with.