Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Priority Levels

Talking Windows XP Priority Levels

Hey everyone! I have looked on google and around here but I havent found an answer. I want to perminantly set the priority for iexplore.exe to high. Right now I am at someone's computer - not mine or I'd change it - which is running rtvscan.exe (Symantec) and it's pulling over 90% usage... almost all the time. I'm concerned because it's a 2.2 GHz! ... it is a celeron so that is another issue but still... it shouldnt be running that high. I cannot lower its priority and I cant remove it... not my computer. I can however highten the priority of another program. They wouldnt know that. So instead of having to, every time, increase the priority... how do I set it perminantly? I looked on google, looked in the help for ie, looked on ao, havent found anything. Thanks anyone! ;-)

Tuskin,

You could try this page at Microsoft that I found. I describes registry keys where you can set custom process attributes.

Or you try a shareware program called Process Supervisor.
    Process Supervisor is a unique new technology designed to automatically configure and manage processes on one or more computers for the goal of maintaining system stability and responsiveness, restricting specified executables from running, and logging program executions.

Features:

· Out-Of-Control Process Restraint: If a process starts to consume all CPU cycles to the point where the system in not responsive to user input, Process Supervisor can automatically lower the offending process's priority until it begins to behave better.
    · Restriction of Disallowed Content: Using an 'allowed' and 'disallowed' list of wildcards representing process names, Process Supervisor can dictate what is allowed to execute and what isn't.
    · -->Default Process Priorities: Always run specified applications at certain priorities.<--
    · Logging: Programs launched and actions performed can be logged
    Hope this helps.

mjk

You could listen to mjk OR you can learn how to use google.
    http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xpindex.shtml (9th one down)

http://www.google.com/search?q=proce...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Originally posted here by ac1d[YICS]
    You could listen to mjk OR you can learn how to use google.
    http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xpindex.shtml (9th one down)

http://www.google.com/search?q=proce...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    The link you provided wasn't what he was looking for. He wants to change the priority permanently so each time the process runs it's the same.

Also, he said he searched Google. Probably just didn't search for the right terms. I used Google to find what I provided above. He probably didn't consider to use the terms that I used.

mjk

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at process supervisor. I cant use it yet but I'll try it at home. Thanks again.

at command prompt

start /HIGH blahprogram.exe

Put it into a batch file for her and just type

@start /HIGH c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

then change icon on batch file to IE thing, then set it a shortcut to batch file and set it to run it minimized. She won't even notice the difference, it willl pop up in the taskbar for half a second and run ie in high priority.

Just Another Geek
    Instead of tweaking the task scheduling (which may break your system if done incorrectly) I suggest looking into why your AV is taking that much cpu.

Maybe it's scanning all files? It's no use scanning BMPs i.e. Tweak you AV to scan only "dangerous" filetypes.

It could also be the last update you did isn't quite working properly. Did you check the Symantec site? This may be a known problem.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There is a known issue in Symantec's RTVSCAN process where you will see memory leaks and high CPU usage. Although my rusty brain cannot peg the exact cause at the moment, visit the Symantec site for the details.

Now, I can tell you that the resolution (which I find offensive) is to uninstall your current build of SAV and install the latest release.

Solving this issue by setting process priority is bad practice. Fix the problem, don't work around it.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I have Norton AV (and NIS) installed on some computers (from P II 350 to XP 2600) and this behavior inst NORMAL. TH13 mencioned some problems about Norton. Ive seen some times Norton couldnt start well and entered in a loop. A restart fixed the problem. Or after some Liveupdates, it started to show a erratic behavior until a new liveupdates (forced one). This kind of problem stopped after a patch (distributed thru Liveupdate).
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.