Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP Priority Levels

She won't even notice the difference, it willl pop up in the taskbar for half a second and run ie in high priority.
    Try @start /B /HIGH c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe . There is NO difference.

I'm using Symantec/Norton AV 7.61.937 (always keep updated). You can lower the CPU utilization it uses: go to Scan->Scan Computer->Options->CPU Utilization and move the sliding bar to the left (low). Then click Save Settings. It will take effect on the next scan of course.

Personally, I'd set a schedule which is convenient for me, leave NAV alone while scanning, and use the computer again after it's completed. I've seen many times it takes up to 90% CPU (mine is P3-1.2GHz). Do you have lots of compressed files or directories with lots of small files like me? Anyway, by lowering its priority, it will take forever to scan.

On which computer you want IE to be given more priority than NAV? If it's not yours, can you really install/uninstall/patch anything as suggested by some members?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    There is a known issue in Symantec's RTVSCAN process where you will see memory leaks and high CPU usage. Although my rusty brain cannot peg the exact cause at the moment, visit the Symantec site for the details.

Now, I can tell you that the resolution (which I find offensive) is to uninstall your current build of SAV and install the latest release.

Solving this issue by setting process priority is bad practice. Fix the problem, don't work around it.
    We have Symantec Corp here and that is the basic run-around that we have recieved in the past. Uninstall, clear out some registry entries and folders on the drive, and then reinstall.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)