Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: summer intern is a known hacker

Save a 30-06 round? That's kinda rude. I would venture to guess that most people have done something at some point in their lives that they could go to jail for. If not I would say thery're either liars or saints.
    Who knows, he/she may turn out to be your best most productive employee.

People do change. Besides, though he may have been caught here, he may not have been caught otherwise. This guy could be the best you've got. Don't use someone else's judgements, make your own.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Tell him he's watched, monitored, logged and the first time he does something you don't fully understand he's out, period, whether he has a viable explanation or not.... Out!

Then apply the monitoring......
    The first time he does something someone doesn't fully understand he's out? That kind of thinking is the reason so many prejudices exist as it is.

Damn, if I was all stressed out from being caught doing something like that (Which, by the way, no one here knows the whole story, don't assume the guy did it on purpose, for all you know his computer was used as a Zombie, and you'd blame him for that....Nice display of gross stupidity guys.)

But anyway, if I was stressed out over all this, finally got a job, and then some ******* went up to me and said:

"Well I know you're a criminal, and I'm watching you! If you so much as piss without me knowing about it, you're out of here"

Ohhhh man, would I make your life hell. It's none of your damn business what he has DONE, it is your business what he DOES NOW.

About two years ago, I lost my job, and had bills to pay. I had to do what I had to do to keep them up. Which included me and my best friend breaking into cars all around town, and in parking lots after social engineering the information as to where each camera in the parking lot was located out of the security guards.

Taking a few hand bags, and doing some "selling". Am I the same person? No. Will I do this again? Probably not, I hope I never have to again.

Do I WANT to do it again? No. But did I enjoy having **** shut down at the place that fired me so they lost money, and then getting the general manager who got me fired, fired? Ohhhhhh yes. My last job that dicked me was fast food so I....Well, you know...The head set hell

First, don't JUST trust him. I'm not saying to do that. I'm just saying not to be an *******. I personally would do as JP said, and make sure YOUR ass is covered. After that, let the boy do his job without you peaking over his shoulder.

It's bad enough he is probably stressed out over his trial, for something he probably doesn't think was wrong, or doesn't know was wrong, and you getting up in his face may not be the best choice. I'd break your jaw May cost me my job, but it wouldn't cost my dignity.

I, like most people, don't like people bossing me around. At work, it's a little different, but there is a difference between being asked to do your job, and being verbally accused even more. Let the ******* feds accuse him, it's not your job.

Damn that's long.... OK, in short, it's none of your concern, just cover your ass, and lay off. Don't watch him, or make him feel uncomfortable. If he's as good as he seems, it may be the best thing for the company.

And please, for God's sakes, if someone breaks into the network, please do not assume it was him first. He may be your best defence.

Well, people do change maybe (let's hope for the best) he has decided to change his ways but still no reason to monitor him closely and do as the others say, give him little rights, and if you really want to get rid of him give him so few rights he gets frustrated and attempts to get around it. If he asks for the administrator for more access instead then I guess he might've changed a little or he's just smart?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Originally posted here by Raion
    Well, people do change maybe (let's hope for the best) he has decided to change his ways but still no reason to monitor him closely and do as the others say, give him little rights, and if you really want to get rid of him give him so few rights he gets frustrated and attempts to get around it. If he asks for the administrator for more access instead then I guess he might've changed a little or he's just smart?
    That is beyond wrong. Doing that just to make him mad untill he leaves on his own? Or doing it so that he has to use his ability to get his work done? That's a set up. Do you own a company? I could use another job. If this was happening to me, and after a week of being at work, I all of a sudden had no rights to get my work done, or even on my first day, I'd be thinking "Trap".

He would have to be pretty damned stupid to fall for it. This kind of thinking, added to the "If I don't understand it, he's fired" bullshit, are the same thoughts going through a manager's head when he can't log into the system because the caps key is down, so he blames the admin.

Or when you move someone's mouse by accident and the screen saver goes away, and they accuse of you of screwing up the computer they use for work. Or when you change the background image for someone and they assume that is why they network is down, and blame you.

Come on, you're going to end up on computer stupidities.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Gore: Foxes and chickenhouses.......

Prejudices be buggered.... He prejudiced his own rear by screwing up in the first place. I'm giving him the chance to redeem himself!!!!! I'm being the decent chap..... I could say "fork off son, look at your record".......

Think a little before you play high and mighty..... my way was giving him the chance......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Gore: Foxes and chickenhouses.......

Prejudices be buggered.... He prejudiced his own rear by screwing up in the first place. I'm giving him the chance to redeem himself!!!!! I'm being the decent chap..... I could say "fork off son, look at your record".......

Think a little before you play high and mighty..... my way was giving him the chance......
    I'm not being mighty, but damn I'd love to be mighty high right now.

Anyway, I just saw that stuff about being fired because you don't understand, and it was disgusting to me. I know you have computer knowledge, tell me you have never been blamed for screwing up a network just by moving the mouse, or something similar.

http://rinkworks.com/stupid

I think that is the web page. It shows a lot of people who think like that, and give the admin hell because he installed software, or someone kicked out a cable. I'm sure we have all heard the horror stories of people thinking like that. This is jsuta nother way of thinkign like that.

It's nice you'd let this guy work for you, but I have worked in a few places where I was treated this way. Honestly, you actually would be better off not hiring him. I've worked in **** holes before wher eI got treated like this, and it just makes things worse.

You want to make him realise he did something wrong, NOt make him glad he did something wrong. I just don't think it's right when people say "If I don't understand it, it must be bad". I know it's a computer, and a little different, but when you've dealt with it before, it does get to you.

The admins for Columbine were not understood, and people thought the same way; "I don't understand it, it must be bad". Picking on them more and more, and then they got blown away.

Well, I guess I'm just trying to say, that it does do good to sometimes think outside the Chicken House.

Hmmm...How many people here can honestly say they have never even once broke a computer law? All of us here like computer security, and the usual way of learning it is by practice. I doubt anyone here has NEVER done anything wrong.

Banned
    Originally posted here by ttau
    I would venture to guess that most people have done something at some point in their lives that they could go to jail for. If not I would say thery're either liars or saints.
    Actually, they're not called "liars" or "saints", they're called "law abiding citizens", and there are lots of us out there.

Originally posted here by AxessTerminated
    People do change.
    Yes, sometimes people do change (but not often, I'd venture to say). But, even if they do change, they tend not to do it over night.

Originally posted here by gore

It's bad enough he is probably stressed out over his trial, for something he probably doesn't think was wrong, or doesn't know was wrong, and you getting up in his face may not be the best choice. I'd break your jaw May cost me my job, but it wouldn't cost my dignity.
    Yes, breaking people's jaws is such a dignifying thing to do. Wtf? Definately not the type of attitude I'd want from people that work for me.

Originally posted here by Raion
    but still no reason to monitor him closely and do as the others say, give him little rights,
    Absolutely the fact that he's being tried with HACKING RELATED OFFENSES is a reason to give him very little system privilege (or none at all) and to watch him closely! So is the fact that he's only a student, and only a SUMMER INTERN! How the hell much control over sensitive data are you people willing to give away so easily? Thank god our nation's military networks aren't run by people like you.

Some student that's been charged with hacking related offenses, and is a summer intern, should be granted unsupervised access to systems, or hired at all? Hahah, that takes the cake... It's posts like these that really distinguish those that are security professionals, and those that like to think they are. I think it's very dangerous to be giving out advice to people, when you're not drawing from experience.

Yeah, JP you bring up an excellent point and that's that your company shouldn't be hiring college summer intern's with hacking record's to be managing and in control of valuable data. That has to be the most ignorant and retarded thing I've ever heard, honestly. The fact this kid got the internship alone make's me laugh but the position he is granted along with the privledges slay's me.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by JP
    I think it's very dangerous to be giving out advice to people, when you're not drawing from experience.
    I don't have the experience you're talking about, but I have the experience from the other side of the fence. I know how feels to be blamed for things I have done, and blamed for things I havn't done, and I know how it feels to have someone crawl up your ass when you're trying to do the right thing and get back on track.

Maybe he should find out what exactly he is on trial for, and then post it here. I don't mean breaking into a network and stealing card numbers, but I mean what he is being charged with. For all we know, he was blackmailed, or his machine used as a zombie.