Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown computer appears on network

Faqt (or anyone)- One final question I backed up 3 files onto another machine on my network a couple of months ago. Two of them show up as regular files and one shows as a network file (don't think it did when first backed up). When I try to open it it asks for a password. I have never password protected any files. The reason this concerns me is the file name makes it look like the file has potentially interesting data (unlike the other two backed up files). Is there a work around for password, it wants user name and password.

Do this....

-Open your network places....make sure you know what is in there right now.
    -close network places
    -open this url with Internet explorer:
    ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/
    -Scroll to bottom of page, double click on README.TXT
    -close notepad
    -open network places....there is now a shortcut to this ftp site in your network places.

Is that the same as or similar to the one you're concerned about?

If it happens in the future, don't delete it until you've examined the situation and gathered info...then you'll have a starting point for searching for an answer.

General first steps any time something is suspicious or concerns you....
    -run spyware/adware removal tools ('Adaware' and 'Spybot-Search and Destroy' are two of the most commonly used programs. Both can be found and downloaded at http://www.cnet.com )
    -update your virus definitions and run a virus scan
    -Something to remember about hardwired LAN's.....remove the wiring and there's no connectivity. If you're concerned, unplug the cable and collect the info you need without having to worry about it.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.