Thread: Question about startup

Question about startup

hello every 1 im using win xp home ed i click on run type in msconfig, and in startup i have this entry in there, start up item : alot of squares, command: alot of squares, location : HKCU\ SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows:load

i was just wondering if you might be able to explain why all the squares are there , or what it is

thanks for you time

Just Another Geek
    Can you make a snapshot of the window? I don't really understand what your trying to tell.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'd have said it was code if it was some program you'd opened in Notepad or something..could you get a snapshot like SirDice said?

hi
    little google for start up in xp home keep you busy to learn little bit for start up and services too
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...p+home&spell=1
    good luck

Hi Blotter,

The first column of squares (boxes) are for you to click on. If you do you put a green checkmark in the box and that program/service will load during your boot sequence.

The second column is the name of the command that will be run, if you put the green tick in the box

The third column is the location of the item in question. They are mostly Registry addresses.

You can use this to tune your startup, and for trouble shooting. For example a lot of software assumes you want to run it all the time, even when you don't. Microsoft Office would be a good example. If you uncheck the box it will only load when you call it manually.

If your machine is hanging, you would go into this and disable and progressively enable programs to find out which ones were conflicting.

Hope that helps

Okay first off, don't mess with any of the .ini files. You can mess with services if you know what you are doing, but for you to be safe don't worry about them either. The last one is very handy "Startup." Here you can stop a bunch of crap from running. Like nihil said, a check means load and an empty box means don't load. If there is a program running that you don't want (say qttask.exe) then uncheck it. You really can't mess up your system here because these should all be third party apps. So if you screw up and your system says WTF!!! Just go back in, check them back and restart. If you want to learn about what Services you can and can't stop from loading, reply back and I will find you a nice page with all the listings. For right now though, uncheck "telnet" if it is in there. Good Luck!
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Here's a link to a good database I've used several times to find out what different tasks are. It allows you to search and tells you what they are.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

xp launches about 40 programmes when it boots and it is normal. that number may be diffrent but the idea is the same. if you want you can turn off some programms but do that at your own risk! but there is a great place to look up for a virus that you may have. anything that looks suspicious might be a virus or a sh*tty M$ program. another great place to look for a boorable programes is RegistryEditor (regedit) (press win->run->type regedit and when it opens go:HKEY_LOCALMACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run)
    hope this helps
    for som\' **** from lithuania

thanks for the replies guys much appreciated