Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems fixing computer.

Problems fixing computer.

I'm having some major issues repairing a DELL 4500S series computer. It was infected with sasser, sobig, and a bunch of other trojans and worms. After I cleaned most of them up, using stinger, it looks stable. The problem is...that the Display is stuck on 640x480 with a 16bit Color quality.

I need to update the drivers on the video card...but cannot find them, because I do not know what video card it has (integrated). Under device manager, It says Video Controller (VGA Compatible) under the "other devices" with an exlamation point.

I tried installing NAV, but it wasn't letting me run liveupdate for some reason...so I guess i'll run housecall on that.

The computer came with WinXP home edition. I installed Professional edition...but nothing got fixed. I'll install home edition again. Another problem is that, even though I am connected to the internet, It will not allow me to run windows update...its says connection problem (another worm that I might have missed?).

I'm planning on completely deleting this partition first, and then creating a new partition and reinstalling XP fresh.

BTW...how do I run Fdisk in XP? Once I boot up...what do I do?

Have you tried booting in safe mode w/networking support, then running windows update?
    As far as the driver I had a gateway with the same problem, called there tech support and they emailed me a driver even though the computer was 6 years old.

Banned
    To update the video card drivers, you'll probably have to flash your BIOS with the new version. Consult your motherboard-manufacturer's website for the newest BIOS version.

Is the Windows version a legal one? Illegal Windows XP versions won't allow you to update...

Fdisk doesn't exist anymore in XP. Once you've booted into XP, though, you can go to
    Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Then in the left column, select Storage, then Disk Management in the Right column.

The copy of XP is legal. I was looking at the motherboard for a name or something...all it says is DELL. It doesn't have a serial number or anything. Anybody know what 4500S series uses for motherboards? I'll keep in mind to run the windows update in safe mode with networking tonight.

So I guess I wouldn't be able to just delete the partition and create a new one with XP?

The drivers for your onboard graphics chip will come with the Mother Board drivers/utillities disc, you will be able to download this if you dont have it, you will just need to know the make/model of your Mother Board.

Your problem is definatly missing drivers for this chip!

When you say you want to delete your current partition and then make a new one, do you mean that you want 2 partitions on your hard drive or just want to format your current one and start all over again?

If you want to just format you dont need, what you need to do is to go into your BIOS and make sure that it is booting from your CD-ROM first, then put your windows disc in ur cd-rom and restart your computer,

Follow the options of installing a new installation (dont go into the repair console) then select your current partition and the option to delete this partition and format it using the NTFS file system but dont use the quick option.

If you want multiple partitions I would recommend Partition Magic (Kazaa??) it will guide you through everything you need to do and is very easy to use!

* if you dont know your make/model of MoBo the two choices i use are to either open your computer up and look on the MoBo somewhere and see if it says it or download SiSoft Sandra this has a lot of awsomw features to tell you about the insides of your computer and will tell you all the info u need about your MoBO

Hope this helps you out a bit!

unfortunately I cannot connect that computer on the net right now....i'd love to try these suggestions out. Thank you very much guys/gals, keep em coming . I want only one partition but to start out fresh. Besides Stinger, are there any other antivirus removal tools that have emergeded lately to clean up from the recent viruses?

The problem still is that I cannot find out what motherboard my computer is using. Maybe I can find something on the DELL website....

You could maybe download the sisoft sandra program i mentioned earlier to the comp ur on now burn it to cd and install it on the problem computer??

Follow my earlier post for a new instalation of win xp just remember to stay away from the repair console and u cant go wrong. The setup utillity will pretty much guide you straight through it!

Here is a nifty utility I found that will give you a profile of your computer's hardware. Hope it helps.

Belarc Advisor
    Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95.

Cybr1d,
    I ran into the update problem after a fresh install of XP home one time. It was the date. Seems to have reset its self approx. 30k years into the future, and wouldn't even except the msn update cd, much less make use of the update site.

If you can boot from the cd, then press F8 at boot. Boot from the cd and select install XP (as said above 'Not the Repair' function. Delete current partition and reformate using NTFS. Full reformate is better than quick especially if you want to be sure all nasties are removed.

Note - A complete reinstallation might solve your screen problem (but I doubt it).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thats a very cool utility. Under Main Circuit Boards it says: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4500S.

As for Bios, it says: Dell Computer Corporation A03 07/25/2002

You think I should update them or something? Could I download the bios utilities from a different computer, burn them and run them to the other computer?

Mox, thats what I thought when I installed the professional Edition...but it still has the same issue