Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems fixing computer.

Hard Drive prep

In case you still have problems, and/or for future reference: Both Western Digital and Maxtor have HD software - Seagate and others might as well. Maxtor's is fairly good, I don't remember about WestDig. Western Digital supposedly has a disk analyzer program you can run. I believe some of the manufacturer software downloads are able to format and partition own-brand drives (possibly other brand as well). I think the software Maxtor bundles with its HDs can format in both FAT32 and NTFS. If you are actually doing this as a business, you may want to got major drive manufacturers and see what utility floppies (and CDs) you can create.
    Some of this software has the advantage of fitting on a floppy AND being bootable.

Thank you All for your help. I called the customer up and asked for her CDs that came with the computer. I found the video driver in there, and now it works perfectly. I'll flash the bios just in case and also patch up the computer.

Enjoy the greenies ...don't spend them all in one place

I read in a book (whose title escapes me at the moment) that Dell uses Intel motherboards and Intel chipsets... so chances are, the video drivers would have been intel extreme graphics (possibly intel extreme graphics 2, depends on the chipset).

If you had the dell service number (which would have been on the back panel or on the motherboard somewhere) you might have been able to hit dell's support website http://support.dell.com/home.aspx
    In the left column there is a panel that says "customize support", click the link "select a system". Then enter the service tag into the text box. Then you can get all of the drivers and manuals for the machine in question.

This can really be helpful if you are like me and frequently buy used computers.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

you're right. It was an Intel Extreme Graphics.

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) Since I could not find aida32
    This tool will send you to your mobo's driver updates. And list everything on your board.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

imitation...thats an excellent program. Many thanks for it. It will make a great addition to my "Useful Tools" archive. I tried it on my laptop and it shows in great detail all its info. Being a freeware makes it even better