Thread: socket error when sending email

Exclamation socket error when sending email

I'm using outlook express and I already checked my smtp settings if it is ok. I am getting socket error msg when sending email. Why is that?

Can you give the exact error message?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Check your firewall is configured to let outlook express connect to the internet!

Then goto (in outlook express) Tools > Options > Accounts > properties and select the server tab ensure these are the correct ones as specified by you ISP, you may need to phone them to get this info or reinstall any software that you had when you signed up with them.

Yo girl,
    I went went thru your posts. Looks like your just relaying your helpdesk questions
    to AO. Can't fault your attempt to improve the quality or service, but then you might want to be a bit more appreciative of the support you are getting...

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I'm using outlook express and I already checked my smtp settings if it is ok. I am getting socket error msg when sending email. Why is that?
    Could mean a number of factors such as: over quota, in-correct mail server settings, in-correct timeout settings, authentication promblem, outlook express could be possibly corrupted. Since we don't have an exact error code which starts with '0x800ccc' then the next two numbers would determine the promblem. What I would do if I was you I would delete any messages sitting in the outbox. Next highlight the mail account and hit the button that say's delete/remove. Now click the button that says add, then select mail, from here enter display name, next is email address, next is mail servers incomming & outgoing (you might have to get these from your ISP) next enter account name, & password make sure using SPA (Secure password authentication isnt checked) hit next, then click finish. Next I would get online and send a test e-mail message to yourself to make sure it goes through properly. Do you have any anti-virus software currently running when your sending and reciving e-mail? What are you doing when you get these messages? Signing on to check e-mail? Sending attachments with your e-mail? If so, what size are the attachment? Is this dial up or broadband? Check out this site it will tell you what that exact error code means http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;208814

Hope this helps, Computernerd22

I went went thru your posts. Looks like your just relaying your helpdesk questions
    to AO. Can't fault your attempt to improve the quality or service, but then you might want to be a bit more appreciative of the support you are getting...
    Dude, come on. This is the only entertainment I get. I lead a very lonely life, I have a sucky job, this makes me feel important. Sorry, lack of sleep is catching up with me.

Oh yeah, the socket error... I'm guessing there is some odd setting (assuming the firewall is allowing the outgoing) with the mail server. The mail server does allow Outlook correct... it's not some kind of Yahoo or Hotmail webmail thing, right?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Try:

<file>
    <folders>
    <compact all folders>

Without the exact error message I don't particularly trust it................Outlook Express...........not "the sharpest tool in Microsoft's box" IMHO? I have known it to act like it was corrupted and give strange errors, and solved this by compacting.

I believe it is frequently related to deleting a large quantity of messages and or having a machine with not much free HDD space.

Anyways, it is "good housekeeping" so you might give it a try?

Cheers