Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: normal questions about networking

hum i dont think that network drivers are safer than internal shared drivers.
    Due to some "restrictions" on their configurations, netdisk can have even weaker security against pc drivers. Please compare security options of your netdisks (that you want to buy) and regular shared disks (*nix, Windows)
    Also please be aware that some ISP doesnt like that you act as a big server node and eat a lot of BW. Also There is some ISP that has specific clauses to disallow more than ONE computer connected on their links.
    Ahn, you will say "they cant see, because im have a NAT firewall"
    and i will reply "yes, they can". Like in your config, with mixed O.S. is a piece of cake to know there is more than one. Just some concerns
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

and will i still need a software firewall if i buy a router with a firewall? like for example those from syslink

well, i really don't know about the hard drives... having a network with only one disk in each computer to install the operating system and netdisks to save data looks really "leet" hehehehe

so looks like no one ever found a pci card with normal ethernet and wireless connections hehe, i will have to use two cards...

please view: http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=456

"integrated adsl modem" means that i don't need a modem, only the cable that comes from the phoneline (i think adsl comes from there... i have cable modems now) right?

the routers with a usb connection, i can only used to share a printer, right?
    thing

First of all, avoid software firewalls as much as possible if you are able to use a hardware one. It's just not worth this system resources.

You might want to check the documentation on that router. Not that it isn't possible, but I have rarely ever worked with a home router whose USB connection was actually for networked devices -- it's usually been so you can plug your PC into the router to manage it. I've only seen one that was intended to share a printer, and we never got the thing to work right. Be careful with that.

And yes, an integrated ADSL modem would allow you to plug in your phone line directly and use your ISP's DSL service. You just have to check with your ISP to make sure that this router/DSL modem is compatible with their service. It usually is.

And is anyone else still annoyed by the term DSL modem?

okay, thanks

anyone got anything to say?

i still have time to see what i will buy, found another review http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1449.html
    thing

Yeah, I'll second brichard's recommendation. Hardware firewall's work alot better and save space on the system (as well as resources which was mentioned above) as opposed to Software firewall's (such as ZoneAlarm, BlackICE, etc etc).
    Space For Rent.. =]

its strange... controlling port access in a router, what will it change? i mean... each computer has ports... which and how is the router going to close? closes the port in all the computers or what?
    thing

First of all, you don't need any wiring between computers and your router if you are going wireless. The only wire you need is between the cable modem and your router and you will only need one modem. As for your IP addressing problem, most all routers today will automatically assign addresses to your computers via DHCP and use NAT to route to your ISP. NAT also acts as a firewall in that no one knows your inside address unless you let the router do this in default, then your first computer will most likely be 192.168.0.1. Most routers come equiped with a reflexive access list which will not let any traffic into your network unless the traffic is in response to traffic originating from your network. So now you just have to worry about is cookies and trojans contacting sites outside your network.

You can set up PAT to direct certain traffic to a preselected computer if you use static addressing. A good concept of DMZ is you are logically placing that computer outside your router/firewall. That way anyone can connect to that computer through the Internet. If you are going to share the harddrives on your network, then anyone can have access to them if your DMZ computer is on. brichards99 has good advice. I hope that this helps in some way and not confuse you too bad.

Linksys - bad experience...

A little side note:

Many ppl are recommending Linksys routers. I have set a few of those up for customers and have had bad experience with them.
    These customers were using VPN connections, and the Linksys couldn't keep the wireless connections up without loosing it every now and then. (like every 10-15 minutes)
    Since then (6-8 months ago) I haven't recommended the Linksys anymore, but instead been using D-Link and Netgear without any problems.

Maybe the Linksys routers are better by now, not sure?

Just thought I would mention this before you go out and buy one...