Thread: System Over Heating

System Over Heating

Greetings Everyone !!!!

I have bougth new P4 computer with hyper threading 2.8 Mhz.
    the problem which I am facing is that when ever I play games on the machine it give me alert message “temperature in system zone 2 exceed the set limit “
    The default set temperature for this zone is 50C .

I do not want to change the temperature limit , So can anyone advise on cooling this zone’s temperature .

Which part of the mother board does “ZONE 2” represents

Im not sure about the Zone 2 thing, but have a look at the heatsink/fan on your graphics card especially if its a Nvidia one!

IMO Nvidia cards always ship with piss poor heat sinks and fans, if this is the case for you i would recommend buying some thermal compound and applying this between your fan and your card maybe even buying a new fan aswell.

Yes it does depend what the mobo manufacturer means by "Zone 2" best to have a look in the Mobo Manual, and see whatpart of the machine the message is refering..

Other questions to ask..
    1/ what is the room temperature? the higher the room air temp the harder it is for the systems cooling to keep the temp below the alarm limits.
    2/ Is the ventilation holes at the front, sides and rear clear of obstructions?. Poor air intake is a killer.
    3/ When you got the system what were the considerations for extra cooling.. ie HDD..(these bugger can fry an egg after a hour of hard work..

But first we need to know what Zone 2 is

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If I recall correctly, that is around either your RAM or the PCI/AGP slots. When you play games, the AGP and RAM will heat up, because you are developing them to their full potential.

It is a Pentium, so should cut out before any damage actually occurs?

Your flag appears to be India?..........I use 55c for England............you should be good for 60c, and I have only encountered problems when they get over 70c. I think that 50 is the default, pan-global, setting?

I suggest as a first move that you get an "exhaust fan", this is a flat device that would take up one of your PCI expansion slots and will shift about 40-50 cubic feet/minute of air out of the case.

Also, consider that you might add another fan to suck cooler air IN, this would be a standard 80mm fan. Both bits are very cheap, compared to your machine's cost Like I would expect to get both for under £10 total cost over here.

What is the room temperature?

Cheers

EDIT: B*****r it Undies............you got there first

EDIT: #2 "Zone 1" should be the CPU

i just looked in some old Mo BO manuals i have:

Zone 1 = CPU socket, Chipset and CMOS chip
    Zone 2 = AGP Slot
    Zone 3 = Memory Slot(s)
    Zone 4 = PCI slots
    Zone 5 = All IDE connectors

Look to see if you have a vent on the case adjacent to where you AGP slot is located I have one on mine but obviously it wont be the case for all computers, if there is make sure it is not blocked or placed to close to your desk etc.

hi!!!!!!!! Thanks every One

my mother board is Intel original 865 Gv

I opened my copmuter cabinate i could only see one fan mounted on thye posser and other fan in the power supply .

I suppose I should add another fan . @ which place .
    I have on board graphic card.
    so Zone 2 is where??????//

By the way when i turn on the computer the temp of ZONE 2 is 39C.

Hi,

Your AGP (video) card should have a fan on it as well, please check that this spins when you start up............you will have to do that with the case off, so please be careful!.........static will kill sensitive bits.............(and electricity will kill you......but you are just looking, and there is not that much in a PC that is dangerous.......DON't mess with monitors unless you really know )

As I said, an exhaust fan for a start............you have to get the stale air out of the case.

Cheers

What graphics card do you have installed?

What the error message means is that the slot where the graphics card connects to the Mother Board (AGP slot) or the actual graphics card itself is over heating (ZONE 2)

It is exremely unlikley that the AGP slot itself is over heating it is more likley to be the actual graphics card.

Have a look a it and check that the fan (if it has one) is plugged in on the graphics card, look for two little wires comming out of the fan and going to a white connector on your graphics cards.

The more likely problem is that the cooling system is inadaquate for what it needs, follow my steps in my first post to rectify this!

Hope you sort it out!

* If you want to add another fan to your computer first check that you have a power source available first, this could be another fan connector on your mother board (look at the connector that the fan on your cpu is plugged into and see if there is a spare one, if not check that the is a spare plug coming of the power cables attached to your Hard drive/CD-ROM.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Like Nokia said you can either connect an extra fan to your mobo using a three pin fan connector, it's imprtant to connect it correct, cause one pin is used for monitoring the other two for voltage. Or you can connect a fan to a normal molex power cable, this can be done using a fan with a four pin molex connector, or with a cable that goes from 3 to 4 pin.
    The negative side about connecting the extra fan to the mobo is that the power comes trough mobo, extensive power demands are not recommended for some motherboards, the positive side is that you will be able to monitor the fan, set sleep mode, make the fan produce less noise by rpm adjustments, keep a spare molex.

If it is your AGP card that is getting hot, see to replace the heatsink / fan combination.
    You have an onboard VGA solution? Than it's probably that chip or your connection between the chip and processor (AGP bus and or chipset bridge) that's heating up. See if heatsinks are attached to your onboard video, if not install one!
    You can also install either an extra intake fan in front or an exhaust fan at the back.
    (see for not so noisy cooling solutions my basic cooling and noise tutorial at AntiOnline.)