Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WarChalking

Right now I doubt there's a need to map any town or city....wireless hotspots have become so common that anywhere you go, chances are you'll find a hotspot. Back in the day, you'd have like one hotspot in very wide area, making it necessary to warchalk. At least here in the East Coast, there's plenty of them.

The whole thing has become common and less significant. You can even buy little boxes for next to nothing that beep when one is found. Just hang some designed for your net type from a key chain and walk around. There are dozens, here is one .
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Yeah how do you think I get on the web right now,..... Joke .but I have heard of it...never done it ..but I have walked around and done some thing like that.I'll call it warWalking.

I gotta say though, I think the attempt at making the case for warchalking being ethical was lame, quite laughable. Eh, maybe I'm just a stick in the mud.

Ethical? How's this for a joke. My respected friend built out a city wide wireless network, pretty damn secure but someone is bound to configure something wrong some day, it's too big for the amount of techs. So I argued against it and challenged him.... well I never found the time but one night I had the ideas to put a HUGE war chalk outside his Window so he could see it in the morning. He about **** all over himself but I had dropped an email so he wouldn't have his guys running all over chasing a ghost. So one can see the benefit of cruel jokes this modern phenomena can bring?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Heh heh, indeed...

found more warchalking this morning on the way to my local vitamin store. it's amazing what you will find when you are just roaming around and "looking" at things

You say there is no need, but it looks like there is indeed someone chalking downtown SF right now. Three chalkings found in a couple of weeks in disparate locations leads me to believe someone is mapping the area.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.