Thread: problem with installation of windows

Banned

problem with installation of windows

Hi.
    Some days back i installed windows 2000 on my system because i had to test some programs using the NTFS file system.I had to convert one of my hd.partitions to NTFS..and that drive cudn't be accessed from my WIN 98..after i tested the program i wanted to remove win 2000 so i had to boot up my system using the bootate win 2000 installation disk..i ran the set up to install win 2000 because there i had the option to format a partition using FAT 32..so i formatted the Drive that contained win 2000 back to FAT 32..then i rebooted and took the installation CD out so the setup cudn't continue with the installation..but the message to choose an os was still there....but win 2000 cudn't be run cuz some files cudn't be found..so i loaded win 98..the partition was back to fat 32 but it that 12 kb of the drive's space were used...but there were no files in the drive.Not even any hidden ones.I formatted the drive again,couldn't format it using DOS..it said that the drive was still in use..so i formatted it using the format option when u right click a drive..choose full format and formatted it.But still,the 12 KB were still occupied.From that day on,my computer is being slow like hell.Its even more slow when i'm running the internet.And its getting slower by the minute.Any idea what i should do?I think that i would re-partition the drive..shall i do it?
    regards
    Ali.

Run Fdisk, erase the MBR, partition it how you'd like, format the partitions, and install Linux.

Ok, the linux part was a joke but the rest of it was good. (Seriously, install Linux)
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

.i ran the set up to install win 2000 because there i had the option to format a partition using FAT 32..so i formatted the Drive that contained win 2000 back to FAT 32..then i rebooted and took the installation CD out so the setup cudn't continue with the installation
    First Mistake windows 2000 loads itself to the MRB during the initial File Copy operation.........Windows-98 Botable Disk Would have been a better option. and use Fdisk.... I prefer "Disk Manager" to do all the Formatting and Partationing things.........It comes in a Bootable disk.......

so i loaded win 98..the partition was back to fat 32 but it that 12 kb of the drive's space were used...but there were no files in the drive.Not even any hidden ones
    12 Kb... ya it happnes . when you formayt a drive some amount of the drive is taken up....... don't know exactly why; mabe for File allocation tabe etc....

o i formatted it using the format option when u right click a drive.choose full format and formatted it.But still,the 12 KB were still occupied.
    Format the whole System... Boot It using a Windows 98 Bootable Starup Disk and use Fdisk To remove partations. then create them again . Format the newly created partations....And reinstall everything again from the scrach...OO and yes run Scandisk and perform a "surface scan" to see if some sectors might have gone bad

my computer is being slow like hell.I think that i would re-partition the drive..shall i do it?
    I don't think Formatting your Disk Was the cause of your computer slowing down it might have been some malware....Yes go ahed do it. Reformat the whole Hard Drive it will take care of it......Use fdisk ....... Or Disk Manager it is a very handy tool a bit outdated (which i have ) but i always keep it handy...

--Good Luck--

Banned
    well..i don't want to reformat my whole hard drive..i don't want to install all of my stuff all over..besides i would lose some important data as well..anyways,i used fdisk to delete the partition that used to contain Win.2000,and then re created the partition,but the menu to choose which os to run is still there..damn i want to get rid of it.Is there anyway win.98 starts up on its own without showing that menu?

fdisk /mbr
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Hey Ali,

You did make some fundamental mistakes, as already pointed out. NOW:

Some days back I installed windows 2000 on my system because I had to test some programs using the NTFS file system
    Did you go down your local store and buy a legitimate copy...boxed, not OEM, version of Windows 2000? if you did, then "Uncle Microsoft" will help you

But I am willing to bet that you used a pirate/oem version?............well let that be a lesson

AND, you, who claim to advise others, made the fundamental error of doing it on your main machine, without recovery or backup................

I am not the kind who gloats, particularly over people young enough to be my grand-children, but:

1. Treat this as an object lesson in life
    2. Don't try it again
    3. Use a different machine and/or backup
    4. Reformat and re-install

Just some grandfatherly advice