Thread: Spybot and Symantec????

Spybot and Symantec????

Hello all,

Has anyone seen a problem with Spybot 1.3? I downloaded and installed it the other day and immediately afterwards I noticed that my firewall (Norton 2003) was disabled.
    When I tried to restart it I got error message "Driver Initialization failed (5004, 115), I tried all of Symantecs solutions but was unable to get it to work.
    Finally purchased Zone Alarm pro and I now have a firewall but I cannot get my norton AV to work it seems.
    I've tried clean installs, etc., etc. and it seems to run but does not detect any viruses and I know I've recieved email with netsky and bagle attached and it always caught theese before.
    I've tried uninstalling Spybot but it didn't make a difference.
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or similar problems. Also on an unrelated matter has anyone heard of a process called winMNGR.exe? Norton flagged it as trojan on a computer at work but I haven't been able to find any information on it. Thanks.

I do not think that it is a problem with SpyBot, as that is an on demand app with some immunization capability. It is more likely a conflict between Norton and Zone Alarm.

Try this:

1. In SAFE MODE uninstall both Norton and Zone Alarm, check for any folders that might be left and delete them as well.

2. Install Zone Alarm, then switch it OFF.

3. Install Norton............it will probably complain about Zone Alarm, so tell it to ignore it. It should then install the AV and not the firewall.

Reboot, and it should work.

As for your other question:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~owen/Re...0_root-kit.htm

Cheers

Thanks nihil, I installed ZA only after I was unable to get norton firewall to work or the av to work, and I tried everything I can think of, safe mode, ect., etc. and thanks for the link to the rootkit, I'll check on that tomorrow.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Spybpt 1.3 has a major change. It now has a realtime spyware agent running. My bet is that Norton and Spybot are battling for control of the network stack. I can verify tomorrow when I hit the lab.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Where did you download your copy of Spybot from?

Have you tried searching for any topics related to your problem on the official Spybot forums?

http://forums.net-integration.net/in...p?showforum=28

I would also recommend posting your problem on those forums as well, for some additional help.

I downloaded it from the download.com mirror. Haven't checked other forums yet, thank you.