Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yawn.. New Virii scanner

That is why everyone should have a good firewall running... 11 days is MORE than enough time to patch yourself... Anyone running a server and any home poweruser should be checking http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com at LEAST once every 2 days... If you are running a server, you should also automate it...

Also, I think most of us here hear of vuln's the day they come out, and we hurridly download the patch for it if we are using the affected OS...

The bad guys finding a zero day would be hell for us... If that happens, we are screwed. That's when hopefully our well configured firewall will come through for us.

Personally, I think that F-Secure is the best AV of all time, but at $56.90, a bit pricey. I'm happy with my McAfee, and in conjunction with XPSP2 RC1 and good habits times are good...

Has anyone tried e-trust eZArmour? I put it on one system to see what was up but removed it as soon as it turned out to be Zone Alarm with an AV. (Is this the Trend Micro - Zone Alarm combo which was scheduled to be released?) I like PC-cillin because it protects a system without slowing things down. I've tried Panda as well which is also rated high in AV testing.

IMHO I don't understand why anyone would NOT run some sort of AV on a system - no matter HOW updated the OS was . . . unless it NEVER went online or ran data from floppies or CDs originated from other than its own system . . . then again . . . you'd still have to ensure the disk the OS came from was clean as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially if there were other users with access to my system.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

The reasons not to run an AV are simple. If you watch whats going on, and stay alert, you don't need it. I personally have no need for an AV. I don't even use outlook or Outlook express, heck I don't even use any email other than hotmail. So my chance of getting email viruses is about 0.1% because I won't open anything stupid in hotmail, and hotmail itself is quite secure in the way it deals with emails. Boot virii are pretty much phased out, and I don't boot from floppies anyway, so I won't get those.

Now for worms. If your OS is kept updated, you should not need any protection against worms. But most of us run firewalls as well. Firewalls + a solid, patched OS will protect you from any worm that has been released into the wild so far.

Another thing you can do that will act as an anti virus is to run only a limited account. Rust wrote a wonderful bit in his "My Methodologies for Configuring XP" http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=258172 that explains the in's and out's of it. Basically, you set programs that need admin rights to run it to "run as" an administrator. This means if you do download a virus, nothing bad can come out of it unless you right click on it and tell it to run as an administrator.

I would like to see your reasons why you think an AV is so important. I like a good discussion

V. and anyone else interested.

Has anyone tried e-trust eZArmour
    I am running it on this machine. It seems pretty good. I tested it against AVG and used Trend Micro's "Housecall" as a second opinion.

It "beats" AVG to finding a virus, as it appears to examine files before they are opened, whereas AVG seems to cut in once they are opened.

It also spots .txt versions of viruses, which AVG generally does not

It is much better with trojans than AVG. Housecall also found them, which speaks well for PC-cillin?

Cheers

nihil -
    Thanks for the info. Are you running the full suite of programs or just the AV? The firewall portion of the suite (Zone Alarm) takes up more system resources than I like which is why I removed everything from the computer I was testing it on.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

TheGrunt has a point, theoretically, but you darn well better know what you're doing before you ditch your AV. That's the catch -- Grunt knows his system intimately enough to basically be his own AV. If you're not so fine-tuned to your machine, however, a good AV is practically a must, and there's a chance that even the best of us may still get caught anyway without an AV, however unlikely that may be. However, one must weigh likelihood alongside damage done if the unlikely occurs. Best to err on the side of caution.