Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help figuring out an e-mail identity!!!

I need help figuring out an e-mail identity!!!

I don't belong in this world of computer hackers/genius'... I'm totally electronically illiterate! But I need help so I've been searching for weeks...
    I'm receiving some very nasty and disturbing e-mails (not quite violent enough that the authorities can "involve themselves")... the problem is, I know it's someone close to me because they know every move I make.
    They send me (and to my family and supervisors about me) sporadic e-mails... it's just a plain old hotmail address, but with a fake stupid name attached.
    I've done all the typical searching but have come up with nothing... I feel helpless and frustrated and a little scared... can anyone of you help? Is there ANY way to find out who this person is without spending money I don't have???
    Please help... any feedback is appreciated!

If you don't know who is doing it and you are frightened and as scared as you say you are, maybe alerting the authorities is the best thing to do. What exactly is the person saying in the e-mail's? Any threat's? You say they know your every move. That could be looked at as stalking, so maybe you should alert the authorities.
    Space For Rent.. =]

They've been notified and won't/can't do anything... I'm also in the military and our authorities can't do a thing since they say it wasn't originated from a military e-mail account. Everything said is very borderline... no physical, violent threats... but they've done a lot of other damage. I recently was moved from one state to another and changed my name and they've still found my new personal info... I just can't understand why it's so hard to figure out who's behind a simple hotmail address if it's so easy to get my info when I spend no time whatsoever on the computer...

Okay, give me a sample of what they're saying in some of the messages.

EDIT:
    they've still found my new personal info
    I find this extremely hard to believe. I find it hard to grasp that you moved and then they found your information. It's probably a relative or a friend playing a joke on you if that's the case.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hellion86,

Can you get one of these e-mails, copy it REMOVE YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS at attach it to a post?

Are there any attachments, or is it just a straight e-mail

Is it your personal computer?

Have you been messing with the colonel's daughter or someone else's wife/girl? (sorry, I have to ask that)

Do you owe anyone money, have pi$$ed them off in any way?

Maybe we can progress from there?

Cheers

EDIT: Purple blob at the top "PM" is private message, if you don't want to post everything to your thread

Have you been messing with the colonel's daughter or someone else's wife/girl?
    Haha, that's classic. Yeah, I think it's a relative/friend who's pulling a prank because I find it really hard to believe someone has tracked you despite a move or whatever and all that.
    Space For Rent.. =]

At least begin the paper trail, save the emails you receive, and contact the authorities through email. Save the emails, print them out.

-OR-

Remove all contact with the person harassing you. Delete all the emails, make it no fun for them anymore. Are they using a single email account, or bouncing around?

Paste the email address in google. Maybe they are dumb enough to have used it elsewhere.

Remove all contact with the person harassing you.
    That's a good point, are you replying back to these e-mail's? If so, what are you saying?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Think about it: you say you've been moved. I surmise that this is by marching orders of the military? Who in the military might have access to the database with your profile? Does the information match what is in your profile? What information has recently changed and matches
    with what your "stalker" knows? Can you change your e-mail account? Do you continue to recieve
    e-mails of this nature after you have changed the account? Who has knowledge of the new account?
    You can remain 'passive', or start to initiate some subtle "controlled" changes. It is akin to planting info, selectively, and monitoring the "trail" you have left, then isolating the common denominator(s). You might be surprised.

Banned
    There basically is no simple way to find out who this person is (without spending money), but there is some info you can gather by looking at the email properties.

I don't know how you look at your email, but I'll assume that you're using Outlook (Express).
    Open one of the emails, and go to File --> Properties. Select the Details tab. You say the mail is coming from a Hotmail address, so you should see something similar to this:

Return-Path: <sendersname@hotmail.com>
    Delivered-To: your mail-address
    Received: (qmail 3307 invoked from network); 26 May 2004 23:00:43 -0000
    Received: from your mail-server (your mail-server's IP)
    by xxx with QMQP; 26 May 2004 23:00:43 -0000
    Received: from msendersname@hotmail.com by xxx by uid 1004 with qmail-scanner-1.20rc3
    (clamscan: 0.60. Clear:RC:0:.
    Processed in 1.805491 secs); 26 May 2004 22:58:44 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO hotmail.com) (65.54.247.43)
    by 0 with SMTP; 26 May 2004 22:58:42 -0000
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
    Wed, 26 May 2004 15:58:40 -0700
    Received: from 24.1.15.92 by by2fd.bay2.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;
    Wed, 26 May 2004 22:58:40 GMT
    X-Originating-IP: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    X-Originating-Email: [sendersname@hotmail.com]
    X-Sender: sendersname@hotmail.com
    To: your mail address
    Bcc:
    Subject: Subject
    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:58:40 -0500
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
    Message-ID: <BAY2-F43R6rPlHkg6WM0002a03e@hotmail.com>
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 May 2004 22:58:40.0994 (UTC) FILETIME=[FCCF7C20:01C44374]
    X-Qmail-Scanner-Message-ID: <108561232263826049@xxx>
    What you can learn from this is:
    - The sender's real email address
    - The sender's real IP address (unless he's smart...heh) can be found under
    X-Originating-IP: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

This IP address can be used to do basic tracking on the sender. It might at a minimum give away his ISP, maybe if you're lucky the state he's in...

To find out all the info on his IP address, go to SamSpade, and paste his IP in the IP WhoIs box...

It's not much, but it's a start...