Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Root Password...

I'm sure you were thinking it was time for a new fresh install..

Thank you everyone,

I'm not going to be able to try your advice out until tomorrow because I just got home and it's late. I'm sure it will work wonderfully. This will save me a lot of time.

By the way I customized the firewall on my box and the telnet is ONLY open to the internal workstations. You scan my Linux box from the Internet and you'll get nothing. If I remember correctly on nmap it showed up as some funky routers I'd never heard of, and the OS quess had like 15 different os's. All 65535 ports are in stealth mode and no packets are recieved from the scans. As far as traditional hacking is concerned it's very solid.

I do use the computer to learn about security. Well I started doing it recently anyways. I want to start out working with easy stuff like telnet then start messing with stuff like http, ftp, ssh etcetera.

When I ran SSH on the server I hadn't set some keys up I think it was??? Tunneling the tcp connections would be a great thing to do if I open the network up to the Internet. Thanks for the advice.

As far as the social engineering comments go..... I was trying to convince someone to help me because I honestly needed the help. I'll be straight forward and say that I'm interested in all types of network security related stuff (ethical and unethical). I must also note that I have character, value's, and respect for people's property and privacy. I am curious because I'm intrigued. I would like to work as a network administrator once out of college.

Well, I need to get to bed. I'm really impressed with the people here on Antionline I've met so far. Thanks a bunch everyone and I look forward to the next topic.

i'm new here, but i just want to add to this.

another easy way to change the root password would simply be to boot to a livecd of some sort like gentoo's, and chroot to your root directory, like 'chroot /mnt/urrootdir /bin/bash' and then you can do whatever you want like normal.

btw, gentoo's livecd makes an all around AWESOME tool type disk, kind of like knoppix, but it's a much smaller download and is much more stable than knoppix.
    yup

Originally posted here by xavior2180
    is much more stable than knoppix.
    Interesting...
    In what way is it more stable?
    I have not had any problems with either Knoppix or Knoppix-STD and have actually found
    their wireless support second to none....

Just curious..

xavior2180 -

First and foremost welcome to the forum we are glad to have you. I would also like to let you in on a little info. If you look at the dates on the post some will be flashing this means they are older and have for the most part died. Just some advice to stay out the 'red' take it easy.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

well, first of all, knoppix automatically uses a framebuffer and startx Xfree86 by default, making it difficult if you're using a computer or a monitor that won't work with it's settings, at least, unless you give it a short essay on how you want it to work. the gentoo livecd only enables all the devices it finds and only starts networking. it doesn't start X and so there's less options to mess with upon booting, such as no-acpi, no-smp, no-fb, etc. (or whatever it has, i don't recall them all at the moment). knoppix's support for wireless hasn't worked for me, but from what i've seen in the kernel, there's only support for cisco and a few others' cards, and i had a dlink and an MSI card, neither worked. I did have trouble booting to knoppix 3.4 using the 2.4 kernel on a few machines, but they worked fine with 2.6.

please don't misunderstand me, i wasn't trying to imply that gentoo is better than knoppix at all, i was just simply stating that the fact the gentoo livecd is more 'lightweight' makes it a much better all-purpose tool than a knoppix cd. it doesn't have things start up when you boot it, like knoppix starts up with kde and mozilla. knoppix would be much better for showing off to people, but gentoo is great for things like recovering data on an unbootable drive, or reconfiguring a broken grub, or things like that, where you don't need the extra fluff.
    yup

Originally posted here by MilitantEidolon
    xavior2180 -

First and foremost welcome to the forum we are glad to have you. I would also like to let you in on a little info. If you look at the dates on the post some will be flashing this means they are older and have for the most part died. Just some advice to stay out the 'red' take it easy.

- MilitantEidolon
    i apologize, thanks for the advice!
    yup

sorry

Originally posted here by xavior2180
    well, first of all, knoppix automatically uses a framebuffer and startx Xfree86 by default, making it difficult if you're using a computer or a monitor that won't work with it's settings, at least, unless you give it a short essay on how you want it to work. the gentoo livecd only enables all the devices it finds and only starts networking. it doesn't start X and so there's less options to mess with upon booting, such as no-acpi, no-smp, no-fb, etc. (or whatever it has, i don't recall them all at the moment). knoppix's support for wireless hasn't worked for me, but from what i've seen in the kernel, there's only support for cisco and a few others' cards, and i had a dlink and an MSI card, neither worked. I did have trouble booting to knoppix 3.4 using the 2.4 kernel on a few machines, but they worked fine with 2.6.

please don't misunderstand me, i wasn't trying to imply that gentoo is better than knoppix at all, i was just simply stating that the fact the gentoo livecd is more 'lightweight' makes it a much better all-purpose tool than a knoppix cd. it doesn't have things start up when you boot it, like knoppix starts up with kde and mozilla. knoppix would be much better for showing off to people, but gentoo is great for things like recovering data on an unbootable drive, or reconfiguring a broken grub, or things like that, where you don't need the extra fluff.
    If I'm not mistaken, Knoppix STD has patches that can be run after boot to get different wireless cards to work...
    I\'m back.