Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning up bandwidth

burning up bandwidth

What kinds of programs are there that can limit the bandwidth of a computer? I am curious because I am getting really slow speeds because other computers in my network are always downloading big files. Or is there an option in windows to slow the computers download speed?
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Just Another Geek
    AFAIK there isn't an option in windows that will let you limit the bandwidth.

If you use a computer to connect to the Internet (by using ICS i.e.) there should be some programs that will let you throttle certain connections.

But maybe there's a simpler way. With what are they downloading big files? Some P2P software maybe? Alot of P2P software will let you limit the maximum download/upload speed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mungyun,

There are two basic sorts of software that do this:

1. Bandwidth limiters (chokes) that reduce the actual speed of individual connections.
    2. Bandwidth caps that allow a certain amount of traffic in a set time period.

I am afraid that I do not have any links but if you do a google search for those you should find quite a bit. They will all be commercial and have to be used by the network administrator.

I am not aware of anything that an individual can do and would NOT recommend it if i was, as it would most certainly upset the network admins

Cheers

Some kind of firewalls/proxies can limit bandwidht at user/computer level. You can customize, for example, that a specific user can use 5% of BW or all FTP connections cannot exceed 30% of BW.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hmmm, doesnt Squid offer bandwidth control of some form? I recall that it does.
    http://www.squid-cache.org

I could be wrong though

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

I use a small program called netlimiter it allows you to control bandwidth on an app by app level. So if you need more bandwith for say a P2P and less for email then you can set it up that way. It is user friendly and easily configured.

Oh its not freeware.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

You didn't specify what kind of connection you are on or if this is for home or work...

But, if you are authorized to do something like this, you could setup a router made from a linux box. You can also shape traffic. Its actually a pretty cool project. I've known people to use it to shape traffic on their home web/ftp servers so all his bandwith isn't sucked up from people accessing files/pages.

http://lartc.org/howto/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

hey Dcrypter, ive visited netlimiter site and it looks good for my (personal) needs.
    Site is kinda unclear about details of the software. Do you have some docs about that i can have?
    tks anyway for info
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Within Windows you can either crank down the NIC's speed by configuring the advanced properties of the network connection (although this really just lets you set a 10/100 card at 10) or you can twiddle with the registry. All the registry settings are listed in KB article 314053 at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

I've fiddled with this in a few cases with so-so results. I'd really recommend one of the options already listed, particularly phishphreek80's idea.

If you are at home -->Tell the rest of the family to piss off
    If you are at work -->Go around and uninstall (if you are the sysadmin) all the p2p software
    If you are at college -->Either suck it up and d/l at other parts of the day or rat out the culprits to
    the admins (will lose friends this way).
    Anything else -->Someone is stealing your connection; you best do something
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-