Thread: Putting the DB online

Putting the DB online

I have a simple question that may require a very long answer.

Basically I want to put my local network and database (all my information is stored here and is on my LAN not connected to the internet very critical information) online. I have a T-1 line hooked into a router and I have just purchased a Watchgaurd Firewall. I have not set the Firewall up and would like to know if anyone has any experience setting a Watchguard up (I heard it is closely related to the Cisco setup) ?

Another question I have is that after I set it up what do I do? I mean what are the good network practices. I have read a bunch and have a very good idea on what I should do ("by the book") but what is the experience that the users here have experienced.

- Adiz

Hi,

I like the watchguard firewalls.
    It is similar to PIX as much as most other firewalls are.
    It's not the same tho. Firewall configuraton can be complex, I suggest hiring
    someone to help you configure and offer you some tutoring.
    I can recommend someone in your area if you like. PM me for details.

What type of database do you have?
    When you say online, what do you mean? Can you be more specific..?

Is this your personal equipment or active corporate equipment. I would suggest setting up the firewall and doing some self testing and ask questions as you go along.

If this is a corporate system, why don't we skip the playing around and add some basic (if I do this, what could happen) or (I want to do this, how do you think I should set) etc..

What type of database do you have?
    The type of DB I am running is a Filemaker DB. We use a combination of MACs and Window machines so Filemaker is a very good answer.

Also, yes this is corporate. I was hired to file papers and as my talents on the comp increased so did my position. I was hurled into a webmaster role - then a web designer - soon they had fired the other techie here and I was the only one. So I am trying to balance everything in one week. I have been asking for a new hire but it doesn't look like we are going to. And instead of just giving up, I want to slowly work towards a stable system and I can learn in the process. So that is why I am asking these questions. I will be setting up the Watchgaurd in next week and testing it.

Adiz

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    adiz: Which Watchguard?

If it's a Firebox series I can help you out. I have been running 3 of them for about 6 years.... I like them. Never used the SOHO series but they probably are quite similar.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ahh filemaker, so basicly every one accessing it will do so over the lan/ over unc names? If i remember correctly thats how filemaker handeld servers. Make sure you have some sort of password/username security setup on it, otherwise its wide open again if i remember correctly file maker server has that functionality, a better option would be to setup a vpn/only allow local access to that server/specify access to that server via ip in combination to a username/password on the DB.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

I was thinking of setting up a VPN but I still will need to set up the FireWall. It is a watchguard firebox FB1000. I figure that it would be rather easy to create a VPN using this. I just need some help starting out.

Have you seen the new version of Filemaker ? Filemaker 7? It is like Visual Basic. It is slick. I am not in charge of creating the DB we have someone who just works on that and only that. So I gotta make sure it doesn't blow up!

Thanks,

Andrew Hurst