Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aim

Aim

I know I have been asking a lot of questions...sorry I just need a lot of info.
    I use AIM on port 443...hw bad is this? how insecure? what problems could it cause?
    do you guys use it? is there a better alternative?
    I use Trillian by the way.
    Thanks, J
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

AIM is fine as long as you don't open files or assign a direct connection. If you sniff your ports and then whois the IP addresss coming in, you will notice all AOL connections go back to an AOL server and they cannot gain access to your IP unless you open a direct connection.

For one thing, the most standing out way would be exploits in the source code to Trillian. One way to combat this would be making sure you keep it up to date with the newest releases. I've never really read into you much, but do you use a firewall and anti virii software?

Oh, sorry I didnt mention this is on the work network.
    We have a Cisco Pix and we use Trend Micro.
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Jason1977,

Anytime you run any kind of program that opens a port to the outside world, you are creating a potential for a vulnerability. However, a patch is often made available soon after an exploit is found, especially for popular messengers like AIM. So, as long as you stay current (I'd check for updates every week or so), I don't imagine that this will be an issue of any signifigance... of course, that all depends on who all you're messenging, too...

Some of these other AOers may be able to suggest some ways to "hide" your ports from prying eyes, which would eliminate the threat of being scanned for a vuln...

As far as better alternatives... I don't use messengers very often, but when I do, I use Yahoo! IM... just a matter of preference, if you ask me...

-Wiski C.

[EDIT]
    Damnit... 0 replies when I started writing all this... oh well...
    [/EDIT]
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

OK, I think you'll be OK as long as you do this:

Don't allow people to direct connect. If you have to, make sure you trust them. Also make sure they have a secure network, as anyone sniffing traffic from them may find you too.

Don't click on links from people who message you.

Keep your software updated.

Keep your OS updated, keep the anti virii updated.

Heh, OK, just update everything like once a week and you should be fine.

http://enterprise.aim.com/

You may be interested in this, it looks like a corporate solution for messaging.

One thing you need to worry about is spyware coming in through those stupid profile viruses, maybe enterprise Aim will let you control how direct connections work.

I tend to disagree about the whole direct connect business. Yes it is possible and very easy to retrieve your IP address. And yes you can receive malicious code. But there is a rule in all things to be weary of strangers offering you things. Just be cautious, run a good av and firewall prog, and im sure youll be problem free.

i see dead ip's

I dont use aim becuase hackers can get your ip adress and there are alot of worms that spread through aim

they can see your ip by useing a program that unhides the ips in aim

AIM is fine with the exception of that direct connection problem. Just don't direct connect and don't accept IM's from people you don't know and you should have nothing to worry about.
    Space For Rent.. =]