Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big encryption problem

Big encryption problem

Hello everybody

I've got a big problem regarding windows encryption. Heres the deal-

I have 2 hard drives. One for files, one for the Windows xp operating system and software. Just recently, I formatted the xp pro operating system and installed XP pro with a new XP cd. (XP PRO) I just realized that I don't have access to some of the files on my second hard drive. I have a huge bibliography on that drive, which I need for a research paper.

So my question-

I'm using the same username and password on this new installation. I own this computer, I have full privledges, I am using legit CD's, and I know my passwords. I get the attached error when I try to open the word document. I need to know how to give myself privledges to my own files. I am looking at ways, but they seem to need a certificate from the old XP install, which is now formatted. I know the username, and password of the old accounts, because it's mine. Is there some way I can open this file???

Thanks in advance!

Just tried a boot disc, it maintained the encryption.

Here is that window about the certificate, Is there anyway I can create that certificate and use that? I know its password, I just have no clue how to create one. (Or if this will even work)

Hi Soda, you nasty little social engineering Troll

I am afraid it has just gotten to that day once every year when I don't care too much. Check my profile if you do not understand.........

I will give it a go, but only when sober (like not right now )

Tell me ,what version of office is it? and is it an NTFS or FAT 32 file

Cheers

Johnno

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Soda, you nasty little social engineering Troll

Word 2002, NTFS.

Thanks a bunch!

edit-

I just realized that a section of the paper this bibliography is for is on encryption. That just hurts...

Banned
    You didn't turn on EFS for those files/folders by any chance, did you?

After doing some searching I found these two links, I think they are what you are looking for.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308989&sd=tech
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;308993

Hope this helps.

Basically what you need to do is take permission over all the old files. What has happened is the old OS applied SID's (Security Identifiers) and the new install will generate different SID's despite the same names and passwords, so to fix this navigate to the other hard drive, right click the file, go to Sharing and Security should be an advanced option or a security button, what you need to do is click on the that and it should bring you to a permissions area, you will have to take permission of all the folders and subfolders and add your new login/administrator name to them. If you need let me know and Ill take some screen shots to better show you

edit: unless of course you did turn on efs
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    Wouldn't that defeat the entire point of EFS? EFS-encrypted files can only by accessed by users with the right permissions. If you could just add permitted users, what's the use?

The problem is that he doesn't have the correct permission, and that he's got no back-ups of the key...?

Well he hadnt specified if he actually used something like EFS or another encryption program, other than I suppose the title of the thread and the error message looks strangely like one I have seen on my old computer when I had permissions setup so I figured I would cover that base before we dug too deep into it...after I posted and read your post I remembered I wasnt even considering efs
    but anything is worth a try
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    It would help if Soda would wake up and tell us
    Would changing his Windows key (which can be easily done... if his Windows copy is legal, he should have a key) back to the original one help to get around EFS?