Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 yrs prison for spamming

7 yrs prison for spamming

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

how annoying is spam..

"A US man who sent 850 million junk emails through accounts he opened with stolen identities has been sentenced to up to seven years in prison.

Internet service provider Earthlink said it hoped the sentence and an earlier $US16.4 million ($22.9 million) civil judgment against Howard Carmack will deter other spammers."

good to see, hopefully it will deter people from doing it ..

7 years could be a bit too hefty tho ... what do you think?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hell no. I'm sorry but spam is wasting a lot of resources for something that many people don't want, need or asked for. Seven years seems kinda light IMHO.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

it wasnt just for spamming either it was for identity theft, forgery and falsifying business records, so apon reading further into it .. 7 years does seem a tad light

Well all i can say is that he'd better be hoping that Bubba don't like spammers..

And 7 years they should of made it more then that, he deserve's to be locked away and the key melted into a ball bearing then shot into outta space.

but then again 1 less spammer in the world i guess..

cheers
    front2back:.

Dude, take away his computer or some **** or put him on some "Dade no computer access Zero Cool Hacker's Movie" type ****, but don't give the man 7 YEARS of no freedom for sending **** load's of e-mail's. That's a bit rash, it's not like he robbed anyone or killed anyone. I know people in the paper I've read about in the paper who got less for burglary and robbery and that's DEFINITELY a much more serious offense. Way to much punishment IMO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Dude, take away his computer or some **** or put him on some "Dade no computer access Zero Cool Hacker's Movie" type ****, but don't give the man 7 YEARS of no freedom for sending **** load's of e-mail's. That's a bit rash, it's not like he robbed anyone or killed anyone. I know people in the paper I've read about in the paper who got less for burglary and robbery and that's DEFINITELY a much more serious offense. Way to much punishment IMO.
    it wasnt just for spamming either it was for identity theft, forgery and falsifying business records, so apon reading further into it .. 7 years does seem a tad light
    A simple beheading in the local rugby stadium would suffice...
    Oh, this is a civilized society...seven years is fine by me.

Okay, maybe identity theft would make the 7 year's right. But definitely not spamming. Forgery/Identity Theft could have earned him 10 year's, but 7 is pretty good.
    Space For Rent.. =]

anyway its a punishment designed to deter people from doing that sort of thing in the future ... .... i know if i was doing it it would scare me

Yeah, I doubt after 7 year's of imprisonment he'll do it again. Especially if a certain group of people get to him while he's serving his time if you know what I mean.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Sorry to spoil your fun, he actually got nothing for spamming.......

Identity theft
    Fraud
    Falsifying Business Records (read tax evasion?)

First offence = 7 years?

I don't think that he would have recieved more than 100 hours community service if spamming was the only thing on the table.

I am unconvinced