Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7 yrs prison for spamming

Uhh I was greened saying cuz this thread was going suicidal? Now I don't care about the green's, but this thread look's far from suicidal. What's up here?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Yep,
    I was spammed with some greenies as well. Off with his head, LOL

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Dude, take away his computer or some **** or put him on some "Dade no computer access Zero Cool Hacker's Movie" type ****, but don't give the man 7 YEARS of no freedom for sending **** load's of e-mail's. That's a bit rash, it's not like he robbed anyone or killed anyone. I know people in the paper I've read about in the paper who got less for burglary and robbery and that's DEFINITELY a much more serious offense. Way to much punishment IMO.
    I can see how one might view his punishment as a bit severe, but there are a few things here that don't improve his chances at all.

1: 800+ MILLION spam emails is extensively huge. Providing you could send an email out 1 per second successfully with no foreseen problems, it would take 25.3 YEARS to send all those. Without timeouts, without delays, without bounces, without "User unknown", etc..

That's a LONG FREAKING TIME to be sending mail.

2: he used stolen identities, emails, etc to do this. That alone right there deserves another 25 years in prison, IMHO. You steal someone's email, you effectively have their identity in the digital sense and hence, are acting for them. The problem with this is two-fold. First being the fact that he's not getting their information legally and second being the fact that they are probably unaware so said person's email has been compromised and probably blacklisted across the board due to this guy's personal goal of 1 billion mail or whatever.

I think it should be 7+10 years with no chance of parole and never being able to have a job with a computer. Ever.

EDIT addition: I just realized that if he served one second in jail for every mail he sent, that would be more than 25 years. Appropriate enough and I'm well-aware that that's considered "eye for an eye". Should be.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Vorlin: I agree, to an extent.

1: 800+ MILLION spam emails is extensively huge. Providing you could send an email out 1 per second successfully with no foreseen problems, it would take 25.3 YEARS to send all those.
    That's true and when you put it like that, it does make it seem alot. Which it most certainly is.

he used stolen identities, emails, etc to do this. That alone right there deserves another 25 years in prison, IMHO. You steal someone's email, you effectively have their identity in the digital sense
    Agree completely, and again when you put it like that, I guess it does justify that punishment (and then some).

I just realized that if he served one second in jail for every mail he sent, that would be more than 25 years.
    Now that's a little over the edge. You can look at it like that or like this. People serving time for Murder 2 could have that amount of time. Now did he kill someone? No..

I think it should be 7+10 years with no chance of parole and never being able to have a job with a computer. Ever.
    Sound's reasonable. Or atleast no access to email
    Space For Rent.. =]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, true...one second for every mail he sent might be a bit much and he sure didn't kill anyone. I also wish that those on death row would end up dead in a year with only one chance of appeal instead of the current system, but I digress.

Who knows if he'll ever have a job with a computer, but I sure wouldn't allow it. And you can't really say "Sure, have access to a computer but not email". In this case, it would have to be one or the other, similar to gun laws.

EDIT addition: also note that given the 25 year sentence, or even the 7 year sentence, you know he'll be out in 2.3 years for good behaviour knowing our system, haha...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

also note that given the 25 year sentence, or even the 7 year sentence, you know he'll be out in 2.3 years for good behaviour knowing our system, haha...
    Yeah, chances are he will .

In this case, it would have to be one or the other
    In this case, maybe.. yeah. As for the deathrow thing, some people on death row wait long year's before execution. But there's too many people and the process has made it that way. I'm sure even THEY wish they could get executed within a year instead of being tormented with the thought of it for 20 year's or so.
    Space For Rent.. =]