Thread: Aussie police to gain access to stored messages

Aussie police to gain access to stored messages

Australian Attorney General Philip Ruddock has introduced amendments to federal parliament that would ease police access in the country to stored voice mails, e-mails and text messages.

Ruddock said the Telecommunications (Interception) Amendment (Stored Communications) Bill would allow police to gain access to stored communications without a telecommunications interception warrant, as well as allowing access under "other forms of lawful authority such as a search warrant."

He said existing legislation was designed only to cover voice telephony and did not encompass additional technologies.

The bill is designed as a temporary solution while Ruddock's department conducts a more full investigation of interception laws.

He said new communication technologies that may involve storage, but which are similar to standard voice telephony, remain protected in the same way as telephone calls under the new legislation. Voice over Internet Protocol and comparable communications are specifically excluded from the amendments.

ZDNet Australia staff reported from Sydney.

Here's the link:http://newsense.nnsol.com/readnews.asp?artid=53

And hmm..I thought that intelligence agencies already DID monitor your email lol

And hmm..I thought that intelligence agencies already DID monitor your email lol
    Yes they do, but mostly using botware like PREDATOR. Otherwise they are using counter-terrorism/national security legislation which takes precedence over other laws.

I am amused by the Australian solution, as accessing stored/archived data is technically NOT "interception?

Cheers

Good Day,

It seems they have left the definitions pretty broad to allow them liberal access to many things. Where does the word "Stored" imply? My hdd, yours, etc. Now that's scary stuff. I don't doubt that their intent is noble, however, they're are some some folks out there with the scrupples of a hungry shark.

Although the article did say, "In the country"
    Connection refused, try again later.

Damn you mean that i had better stop sending Harrassing messages to people
    Well looks like i gotta think of another hobbie then , anyone got any ideas..
    And YES seeing as i'm an Aussie, i do think that this Sucks..
    But then again it's just another way for the Government to have there way with everything you own or do.

front2back:.

eh Mate...lol

You'll have to keep us posted on what they actually do with the new regulations. It will be interesting to see the impact on networks, intrusion detection, etc. Bet they break out some undetectable as we know now it secret stuff, and you'll never know it until they knock on your door.... Need a good bondsman?

take care down there!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I'll be checking out the local Paper in the morning, plus i'm gonna keep an eye on the news as well, hopefully something might pop up.
    And when it does i'll keep you lot up to date with what i hear, read and get told.

our police must be so bored so they found another way of entertaining themselves.
    this will definitly keep them busy.hope they have shane warne e-mail address that will keep them amused for hours

our police must be so bored so they found another way of entertaining themselves.
    Nah if they were so bored, they could find some amusement by going down to the holding cells and beating up on people with there Phone books and baton's .

cheers
    front2back:.