Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cissp

I laid out from AntiOnline for a while. I forgot that MsMittens had taken the exam. We had discussed it and the pros and cons of CISSP and other security certs. Congrats, BTW!

I took an ISC2 seminar in August. It is interesting that this business is still so small that I knew or associated with several of the attendees in the class. Then took the test on August 28, many of my classmates were there. I passed! I am waiting for the rest of my paperwork to process so that I can join the ranks of those who pay $85US per year and complete all those continuing ed hours.

Just a hint for those looking to take it, make sure you have the most current version of the texts mentioned by MsMittens, and get the latest ISC2 Study Guide. I also used a CISSP for Dummies (it is clear and concise). If you can, attend a seminar. Check the current information on the cert. CISSP is now an international ISO-stamped cert, so this changed the emphasis on certain parts of the subject matter. Law and Ethics is now more general and international in scope, rather that specific to the US.

I have to hand my seminar instructor much of the praise, though. He was great, interesting and fun. He brought a lot of experience and real examples to the sessions.

Test strategy: You have six hours. Make the most of them. Read the entire exam once through and make pencil marks on the way through. Then go back over the exam and mark the bubble sheet. This does two things. 1 - it gives you a chance to see all the questions and move around in the exam. 2 - It gives you a chance to ask "what was I thinking?" about the first time through.

No matter how well you really do, you leave the exam area thinking you blew it. You will be exhausted and hungry. Go eat. You will feel fear, uncertainty and doubt for all the days until you get the magic email that says "you passed!"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If you can, attend a seminar. Check the current information on the cert. CISSP is now an international ISO-stamped cert, so this changed the emphasis on certain parts of the subject matter. Law and Ethics is now more general and international in scope, rather that specific to the US.
    Indeed. I'm actually in the process of developing and soon teaching a CISSP Prep course for here in Toronto. I feel like I'm studying all over again for the exam!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeah, well they even have "add-on" certs for the cert, now! ;-) There is an architect, management and US-Fed enhancement you can study for and test to add more letters to your name (ISSAP, ISSMP and ISSEP (I think)). So, you could study for the managment enhancement, test and be a CISSP ISSMP.

Kinda like having a BS, then an MS and a PhD (that's piled higher and deeper).

;-)

I just read on CCCURE.ORG forum that ISC2 has removed the US-based laws off the test. I believe Clement posted this so it could be credible (he was involved in original test development and maintains very good CISSP site CCCURE.ORG).

I'm finishing my "boning" up for the test I have this Saturday.... YIKES. So much to absorb and retain. ha ha.

Keep us posted on your results, ric-o!

Yes, you are correct. the US-only-based law questions have been removed. That was part of the deal for the ISO stamp of approval, I understand.

And as luck would have it I found out today that the Krutz book is now 2nd edition and includes ISSEP in an addition 3 chapters (they made it a tradepaperback but the thing is still huge and heavy -- can we say brick?!). Anyways, I had to get it because I know the students will probably end up with it and it looks like some changes were done to the content (not just the US Law questions)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

CISSP test tomorrow

My CISSP test is tomorrow...will let you know if much in way of US laws (although cant disclose actual questions of course but can give a sense for what I saw).

Wish me luck!!! Hopefully I will not have to wait long for results (eek).
    (sigh, need sleep now)

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Just got the great news 1 hour ago - I PASSED MY CISSP, WAHOO!!!

By the way, there were NO US laws on the test but you will need to know international standards such as ISO 17799 and BS 7799 and EU stuff. I heard they removed the US laws so it could be ISO certified which it has.

Now I have a cert to show for all my experience in the industry, skills, and tons of studying I did for the test.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Well done Rico! Congrats!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!