Thread: Received Email: Safety Settings

Exclamation A little help please...

A User claims she got this in email this morning...

"I received this message while reviewing my email this morning ( The safety settings on your computer is dangerously low. With the current settings, any web site you visit ( and any ad that is shown to you can automatically install to your computer. It is strongly recommended that you raise your security settings.) "

anyone seen this before?
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

You need to find out if it was a legitimate e-mail. Find out first if the user knows the person who sent the e-mail. If so, have him contact that person to confirm that he/she actually sent it. It may have been a fake e-mail that spoofed someone's e-mail address.

Banned
    Just think about it: how could anyone know before they send that email that the safety settings on the recipient's computer are "dangerously low"?

It didn't have a link to some paying software to "fix the problem" by any chance, did it?

Originally posted here by Negative
    Just think about it: how could anyone know before they send that email that the safety settings on the recipient's computer are "dangerously low"?

It didn't have a link to some paying software to "fix the problem" by any chance, did it?
    thats exaclty what i was thinking...
    Romans 7:14-20
    14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Where was the mail from..check the authenticity of the mail...looks like an attempt at social engineering to me..'Security settings' hmmf

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Is the user computer literate?
    I ask, because I have seen this in a popup before, but never an email.
    Perhaps she was browsing the web or cheching her webmail when she got a popup of this message?
    Just a thought.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me