Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start in security?

Talking Hello all, n00b here...

...unfortunatly with a n00b question also.

I'm just starting hacking for security and such, but unfortunatly I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Strange question..........

Hacking FOR Security ?

If you could please elaborate; some details of your system, OS, own security etc.

Although with this as your other post, I suspect that a few negs could be the result.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...431#post751431

your profile shows you as Mac OS: try the following.

http://www.antionline.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=50
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I'll bite this time, even though no n00b would write "n00b" or even know how to l33t speak.
    But I digress...
    Start by taking some network, network security, and programming classes at your local JC, load up some network utilities, i.e. snort, a sniffer, etc etc.

That's just a start, there's loads of info you need become intimate with. And just as with life, the more you know, the more you realize how little you truly do know.

"The fool thinks himself a wise man, while the wiseman knows himself to be a fool."
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    hacking for security
    That's a bit like screwing for virginity really.........

What is it you want to learn to hack in order to be able to secure it? Fact is you are really doubling your work, learn what the threat is not how to actually carry out the dastardly deed and then you can work out how to mitigate against it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Set your self up a little network in your house and practise on that, you cant go to jail that way!

Its suprising what you can learn with a Hacking Exposed book and your own private network to play on!

Aight, thanks to all. (And no I'm not a n00b at everything, just at this hacking business, so give me the benefit of the doubt here). I run Mac OS X, not quite to Panther (my budget won't allow it yet). All I have for "security" is just a proxy server and a firewall. The system I want to learn on is just a simple two-computer LAN with Microsoft NT. Yes, hacking for security. Hacking my own systems so others can't, basically. TY for you infinite wisdom and abounding knowlege.

b35id3s, 4nj m0r0n c4n sp34k l33t :P

EyeQGuy, start by looking around this site. Find something that is of interest or important to you, and do a search If you are having problems or a question, then post it. Somebody here should be able to help you. Try to be specific and supply enough information so we know what the problem or question pertains to.

quote:
    b35id3s, 4nj m0r0n c4n sp34k l33t :P

Don't know what you just said, but I don't think leet speek goes over real well here. Some people don't mind and others do. Oh well, good luck in your quest

If you just want a simple 2 computer LAN I would highly reccommend the Hacking Exposed 4th edition, Network security, secrets and solutions book.

Ive just finished reading it and found it the most benificial book that ive read to date, it even comes with a DVD showing you a few simple hacks.

You can buy it from here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...847906-2501253

good luck!

hacking exposed is really a good recomendation, if your running NT. (haven't looked threw the later editions)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

My biggest tip: Learn an OS inside out and outside in. That has helped me more than anything. I have focused on doing everything I possibly can with my windows XP box before I attempt *nix. Just delve in and you will learn lots about security on your journey.