Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cant delete file

I see from your screen shot that you are running WinXP, and it depends on whether or not you are using NTFS.

I suspect WinXP has locked the file for some reason, so you can try booting in safe mode (hit F8 or hold down CTRL at boot time), and try deleting it ..

If you are using NTFS, you will not be able to use any type of DOS boot, so another option here is to boot the recovery console, which you can do from the WinXP CD, which gives you a DOS like environment.

If you are not familiar with this try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058, and use the DEL and/or RD command to get rid of things.

99% of the time it's explorer.exe that's preventing you from deleting it. To fix it open a command prompt (start-run-cmd) then open task manager while the command prompt is still open and close explorer.exe. Once explorer is closed you should be able to browse to the file you want with the command prompt and delete it. Then go back to task manager and restart explorer (file-run-explorer)

i looked at it's properties and it has no extention at all

the command prompt says the samething its like it thinks its not there

Hi,

I have come across this sort of thing with files/folders that had corrupted headers. Older versions of windows though.

Can you open the folder? has it got anything in it?

You might try scandisk and defragment, but I am afraid that is rather cluching at straws?

Interesting.......

Wild thought here, I don't see a filename so why don't you try renaming the file then deleting it (And give it an extension).

EDIT: Try going here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320081
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

i cant rename it every time i try to rename it it says the same error

and i can open it and there is nothing inside

Can you move it?

If you can move it take a floppy, insert it into your drive open the floppy drag the file by right clicking instead of left clicking, and let go of the right click when you drag it to the floppy then click "Move here" then format the floppy and it should be gone.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

no this comes up