Thread: floppy problem

floppy problem

i really have abig problem with my floppy drive when ever i put a floppy in it and either load data or format whatever i do i am getting a recycle bin icon in it and its not being deleted ,whenever i try its saying the system is using it,i thought it may be virus ,i used norton for that but it was undetectable and the floppy works only once,what shall i do any remedy plz tell me,i use the floppy for getting some data from the net from the cyber cafe
    when floods come fishes eat ants
    when floods go down ants eat fish
    life is like that........

Just a few quick questions. Did you scan the floppy disk or your harddrive with norton? Also, I'm guessing that this is for ANY floppy disk you put in the drive? And, which OS are you running, which norton antivirus, and how up-to-date are the definitions?
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Hi,

As suggested, we need a bit more information on your OS and if this is just one floppy disk.

From what you say, it seems that you have a shortcut to the recycle bin. If you activate that, it will take you to the recycle bin on your hard drive, which will be in use.

Just a thought?

EDIT: I have just checked WinME and XP Pro and it will only let me create a recycle bin on a hard drive. What type of computer is it?

No problem's with any of my three system's (two of which are Window's). Try loading up the data onto another computer than the one your using. You say you use it at the cyber cafe, so I assume it work's there? Lemme know if it work's there, because it could be a hardware problem with your machine.
    Space For Rent.. =]

This may be a silly question but . . . is the floppy disk locked? On the back of the disk, there is a little slide which will either lock or unlock the floppy. If the floppy is locked, you CAN load the data but you won't be able to reformat or delete any of the files.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi V.

You should not be able to write to a locked floppy...........I certainly can't on any of mine.

My question about the make of computer is because somewhere I have a 40 pin 3.5" drive and cable. I am sure it worked on the same ribbon as the HDD. Came out of an old Compaq as I recall, I only kept it out of curiosity

What intrigues me is that he says he gets the recycle bin icon, which suggests to me that his floppy is getting recognised as a hard drive?

Cheers

A quick check of the BIOS could say if it is being recognized as a Hard Drive.

It sounds as though you are using the same floppy disc each time though, try another one and see if you get the same results.

nihil -
    The reason I used the term 'load' was because that was what praveendasika used to describe what I interpreted as 'copying' the information from the floppy to his hard drive. Could be I assumed wrong (wouldn't be the first time!). It isn't how I would describe the process. I probably should have asked for clarification. I DO know that you can't write to a locked floppy although . . . I did read an article once that said some virii CAN write to a locked floppy during boot up. And, before anyone blows a gasket about me not referencing the site where I found it . . . I gave my ONLY copy of the article to someone and they never emailed the URL back to me for my references (another lesson learned!). Sorry - it was a few years back when I was trying to clean a system with a nasty trojan infestation. I only found the one article saying it was possible but the author said it was done by the system accessing a CD drive first (didn't need to have a disk in the drive), then the floppy drive with the locked disk inserted. At the time, I was looking for everything I could find having to do with a boot up or Master Boot Record virus. I apologize for getting a bit off subject.

I didn't know there were floppy drives which would take a 40 pin cable or that it was possible for a floppy drive to be mistakenly ID'd as a hard drive. Interesting stuff - thanks. Again, I apologize for the earlier confusion.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.