Thread: Question about remote assistance

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Question about remote assistance

hey, i tried to use remote assistance with win xp to help a friend with her computer and i had 2 problems... the first time i tried to connect it gave me some kinda error about Remote assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again. she is on a laptop and im on a desktop but, i dont think that really matters... now i finally did get connected to her by just trying more than once lol but when i did get connected i got booted off her computer almost immediately i screen looking strangely like a screensaver came up on her comp and once it did, it kicked me off and i no longer had control of her computer. so whats the deal??
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex,

Please don't think me rude here.............I have a friend about 240 miles away I sometimes help..........we turn off all powersaving in the BIOS and in the screen manager...........I have actually never tried with it on........could that be your problem?

Just a thought

well my screensaver wasnt on but, i think hers was... so im not sure if that was the problem but, even if it was why did it boot me out totally??
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex,

I am not sure about that, I have only used the connection a few times and as it was during the day and on dial-up, We were pretty active all the time (dial-up is pay per minute to your telephone company over here........mostly)

It could be just the way the screensaver works? If you are connected to her machine, then you are looking at her desktop, if the screensaver cuts in it may not detect you hitting the spacebar or moving your mouse remotely?

As I suggested, switch it all off for the support session.

Cheers

ok next time i try remote assistance i will switch of all power saving things like that..... thanx for the help.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Regal Making Handler
    Hi all,

This maybe unrelated to your problem but i believe there was a problem with remote desktop assistance in xp. I cant remember the specifics right now but i believe the problem was resolved by service pack 1.

Just thought i would mention it just on the off chance.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

thanx Jinxy, i am goin to upgrade to SP2 once it gets outta beta... i already have sp1.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted