Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory Fragmentation

HOwdy,

Well, I stripped it down to only one hdd, added a additional fan(now there's a cpu fan, a supply fan, and an exhaust fan, a new mouse, checked every piece of software that could be running in the background (but that only explains windows freeze, however not the linux freeze that it does also).

The main board and cpu are only about 2 years old, not overclocked or abused other than normal wear and tear. About every 2 weeks, I open it up and blow all the dust, if any is present, clean the fan blades with a soft brush and check all the connections.

I'll look once more inside the setup and see if there is anything else, but not having any luck with resolving this issue. I though I had it licked but it just did it again about 20 minutes ago.

We'll see.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi Relyt,

What are your system and CPU temperatures now?

Do you notice your room lights flickering, going dim? having any problems with your TV? It is posssible that your power supply company is having problems. A surge protector does not protect you against "brown outs" which is when the current drops.

You might like to download a memory checker and see if the RAM is OK, also get the diagnostics tools for your HDD and run those. As I said, I would expect boot problems or crashes, rather than freeze ups, but you might as well eliminate the possibilities if you can.

Good luck

Hey Nihil,

I did some more tinkering around. I had a somewhat larger box fan with longer and larger blades, so only had to drill a couple of holes and used some of the existing one, and now the air is even flowing more.

The CPU temp has dropped from 49 to 46C and the Main Board temp dropped from 48 to 44C.
    So that is pretty significant! The larger fan draws less voltage as well, but produces more rpms. But my wife's temps are 37C

When I built the computer I can't remember if I used the silver paste or the white junk. So I'll get some of that in a couple of weeks. There are no good computer shops around here and it's about a 3-4 hour drive to any major city. Might just order it online, might get it quicker!

We do have an occasional flickering of the lights. I have a real expensive surge suppressor because of the Thunderstorms we get here, however currently I do not have a voltage filtering UPS. Guess that might be a procurement as well.

I'll hunt down a memory check online, tomorrow morning and see.

Thanks again for you help!

For a good/recommended RAM testing program, get Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ )

Find the ISO image, burn it to a CD, and boot up. Make sure to boot from CD in BIOS. A very easy way to test RAM that is OS independant and quite safe. Run through a few different tests/patterns. You don't need to do every single test (might take many hours), but after three or four different patterns through your RAM you should know if you RAM is defective or not.

Thanks Tim_axe,

Downloaded it and will burn in on a cd today. Hours to conduct the testing! Oh well if I must...lol

cheers

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. Here's the link to the solutions of my system freezes:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=258418

Relyt.......

You should be the dog in Moxnix's avatar

No Doubt Nihil,

I deserve it....

Well at least I found the problem. Everything was crying for juice and the fan was robbing it from them. Even all the software is extremely fast once more....lol

thanks.

Fair play to you mate!.......you beat me..........I would never have spotted that without popping the case

And your specs looked pretty good as well...........I have loads of boxes out there with a 350W supply. 2HDDs, 3.5", modem, DVD, CD R/W/RW, AGP, NIC, 2 case fans, exhaust fan, power supply fan............and they work just fine

Anyways, glad to hear you have it sorted.................and you can teach an old dog new tricks..........but not Mox's way?

Hi Nihil,

I think Mox is just having to much fun with his avatar. That's probably really him.

Well hopefully folks trying to troubleshoot problems will read the thread thoroughly and learn from it. There's was a ton of great information passed back forth that will help them keep their computer running properly and help them stay away from Mox's spankings.