Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable windows NT firewall

How do I disable windows NT firewall

I am looking for a way to disable the firewall on the NT system so my friend can play games with me on the net

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uhhh.. Windows NT doesn't have a firewall.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ummm, I don't see anything in that post directly aimed at cracking...

It may be poorly worded... But for all we know he's legit...

You can't just jump on someone like that.

Alright domiereavron, what OS, and what firewall are we talking about?

EDIT: MsMittens, IIRC, althought NT4 has no firewall, XP does, and XP is a build of NT.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

domiereavron - In XP double click on the Connection established icon (Two little monitors by your clock usualy) then goto properties, then click on the advanced tab and you will see an Internet connection firewall check box, just uncheck this and restart your connection.

Im not sure if it will be the same with NT but it shouldnt be too different I wouldnt have thought.

//and ignore this wanker:

What the hell are you going on about PoSer???

Its not a cleaverly desgised question about how do I hack something, because it ISNT a how do I hack something type question!

All youve done is see someone make their first ever post (and prob their last after your reply) and tried to show off by flaming them!

I read the question as, "I want to play a game on the net with my friend, but my firewall wont allow me to, does anyone know how to disable it?"

He could have worded it a little better i'll give you that.

He doesnt say his friend owns the box and he doent say its on a network and he definatly doesnt say I want to hack this box, help me!

Here's a link..if you scroll down there's a screenshot of the window Nokia mentioned...and oh..since no one seems to have said it...welcome to AO
    EDITopsy..*runs away in shame*
    http://www.flexbeta.net/forums/index...=ST&f=3&t=3302

Ummm.... Where's the link?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

mabey I am jumping to conclusions but the very poorly worded post and the request to defeat a firewall on a os that has no standard firewall just got to me.
    If there is only one thing about this site I would like to see changed, it is the attitude in which people approach questions.

Please, think of it like this:

1. Worded suspiciously or not, they are asking a question. You can not preassume that EVERYONE knows how to word things perfectly for every single AO member. You can also not preassume that the person asking the question is knowledgeable about networking or security, and thus may use terms or phrases incorrectly merely because of their lack of understanding. In this case, maybe all he knows is that it is an NT computer, and that his dad said there was a firewall. He may not know there is a software/hardware firewall installed that is not NT native. Don't jump down his throat, welcome him, teach him, and ask questions to clarify.

2. Whether you bash them, flame them, hurt them, or answer them... they will get the answer somehow. Be it a 31337 CRA$CKAING guide, or a mature AO users, they will get it. Now, take that opprotunity and use it for good. Would you rather teach and show them the mature ways to learn about firewalls and security, laying down guidelines like parents do to children? Or would you rather him find out the answers in a 31337 cracking file that encourages viri creation, cracking, and illegal activity?

Chose the first road please, and embrace people so you can properly show them the ropes in acceptable standards of network/computer security.

To the parent poster:

A few questions so that I can better assist you:

1. Is it a firewall that is installed on your computer? Like not the NT firewall?

2. Are you behind a switch, router, or serveR? Like a box or something similar that you connect to before it gives you the modem?

here is my situation
    I am playing Warcraft III expansion on battle.net.
    I have windows XP, my firewall is already disabled, buddy, has windows NT, and we are getting a firewall error stating due to firewall or internet limitations user cannot join game
    I am not trying to hack, I just want to play some 1v1 with him, I am not familar with the windows NT so I do not know much about it and he asked me how to disable it. I wouldn't ask something that I can go check out myself. Any helpful suggestions would be nice.
    I don't believe it is my system with the problem but then again it very well could be. Battle.net is very queer sometimes, it is annoying to have a third party create games for us just so we can play against eachother.

he also has norton 2003 anti virus scanner if that helps sorry if I misworded my first post. I don't think norton AV has. No worries, I guess its like someone telling me in a game they are getting attacked by flying things and their footies aren't counterattacking
    Also I do have linksys router by the way

As far as I know, win nt doesn't have a built in firewall. Norton might have a firewall built into it, have him check that or just disable norton all together for now and then try it, remember to turn it back on though. Also his isp could be blocking the port that battle.net uses.

edit
    I got bored so I went and found this for you.
    http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=awr0222p1
    /edit
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.