Don't Need a Router with SonicWALL? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Don't Need a Router with SonicWALL?

Well the problem with the Cayman is it keeps dropping the connect. SBC tech said this was because it was outdated and thus sold us a SpeedStream 5100 modem to bridge as a replacement (has yet to work).

However, I recently heard from someone that somewhere out there there's a firmware update that will fix the problem on the Cayman. Have you heard of that? I have yet to find it Googling.

Okay if you are using a cable/dsl provider you are haveing this scenario

internet --> cable/dsl modem --> SonicWall --> Network

If this is true then here is where your problem is. The cable/dsl modem that you are using is acting as a DHCP server. So what you are getting is

internet -->DHCP -->DHCP --> Confused as Hell

What you are going to have to do is what Tiger said earlier. You have to configure your modem to work in pass through or straight through mode, whatever it is called. Basically make it nothing more than a phone line to RJ-45 convertor.

Then you have to configure your sonic wall to connect to the ISP with PPoE because the modem isn't anymore. For this you need your office's username and password. You should be able to connect now.

Finally, set your Sonicwall to function as the DHCP server with whatever subnetting you need.

If you need help with this, call your ISP and ask them how to configure their modem. You should be able to access it by going to a broswer window (connect a computer directly to the modem) and go to either 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.0.254. If none of these are right then off to the ISP.

Good Luck and post back if more help is needed or if mine doesn't work.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

You should be able to access it by going to a broswer window (connect a computer directly to the modem) and go to either 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.0.254. If none of these are right then off to the ISP.
    Yeah, and would you believe the tech who installed it said there was no such management interface for the modem? So I have no way to configure it thusly. *cough cough* RIP-OFF! *cough cough*

*my jaw drops*

Call those bastards back and tell them to give you a decent modem or your going to change ISPs. That is Horse stuff. I am with Bellsouth and have a dinky crap modem and I can still go in and fix stuff.

Say that there product is not working as they said it would, say it is defective (because it is), or just say I hate you guys gimmie a better modem.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Yeah, we were only giving their service a test run anyway. Obviously they failed miserably, so we won't be doing any further business with that ISP...Lame-o!