Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't Need a Router with SonicWALL?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Angelic: All the Cable/DSL modems I have come across will respond to a DHCP request and will pass the configured, (by the ISP), IP address to the responding device, (in this case, hopefully, your sonicwall). If you can tell the Sonicwall to gets it's address automatically and then restart the Sonicwall it should pick up the required IP to make the connectivity.

If you can't do this connect any workstation the ethernet connection of the modem and restart it after telling it to get all it's information automatically. The run ipconfig /all and you have the information you can manually put into the Sonicwall. If the Sonicwall can operate as a DHCP server for the internal devices, let it. Otherwise you need fixed IP's internally or fix the LAN address of the Sonicwall and set up a DHCP server with an appropriate scope internally.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Your boss is right Angelic. FW will do both jobs, FW and Routing functions. At least on that configuration. DSL MODEM --> FW --> Internal Network.
    You will get just one IP from ISP (im suposing that) so your FW should to NAT for you. And SonicWall will.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Thanks guys, I'm about to go give that a try. Will report back soon!

It almost worked, that's the farthest I've gotten! I hooked a laptop up to the cable modem and set everything to detect automatically, then pulled the info off it via ipconfig /all. Unplugged from the laptop, then plugged into the WAN port on the SonicWALL. Both WAN and LAN link lights turned green (an improvement!) thus detecting connections. From what I gathered from the ipconfig on the laptop, I entered the info for the WAN Gateway, WAN IP, and WAN subnet mask into SonicWALL configuration. Finally, I pinged a website from the SonicWALL...and it failed. But at least I know the connection's detected, so it's gotta be something I'm missing in configuration. Any more ideas?

As for DHCP, we have a domain controller on the LAN that dishes out IP addresses to all machines, so I don't think we need DCHP enabled on the firewall then, right?

does the ISP needs any kind of authentication? what was the process when modem was connected direct to pc?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

All I had to do was plut it into the laptop and I was automatically connected, so I didn't have to configure anything.

As for DHCP, we have a domain controller on the LAN that dishes out IP addresses to all machines, so I don't think we need DCHP enabled on the firewall then, right?
    Your firewall can take a DHCP address from the modem DHCP server on it EXTERNAL interface
    if DHCP is in fact running on the modem.
    Your firewall should not use DHCP to get an address on its internal interface unless you configure a reservation with the internal DHCP server. You want the INTERNAL interface of your firewall to have the same IP all of the time so your INTERNAL users can rely on the same gateway IP.

Do some more trial and error here...

LOGIC: Your workstations are just another node on the network. If they can route out to the Internet, so can your Sonicwall...If the Sonicwall won't take an address via DHCP then hardcode one in there.

You have got to be real close...With the info everyone has given here...Keep plugging away..

good thinking ss2chef, it's gotta be something with the IP address's now.
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'm guessing that with this thread and the thread you started in Addicts that you are still on DSL..... That being the case DSL tends to use PPOE, (Point to Point over Ethernet) rather than straight TCP/IP as cable does.

PPOE requires a username and password to complete the connection.

If that is the case then hopefully Sonicwall can accept a PPOE. If so you need to talk to the DSL provider to get the PPOE user/pass combination and enter it into the Sonicwall to allow that connection. Then if your internal stuff is set up right they should all start to work.....

Don't give up... you are close....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

This probably won't tell you anything more, but nonetheless here's what I'm looking at after configuring it (note when I say "pulled from modem" I'm saying it's taken from what I got from doing "ipconfig /all" on the laptop I connected to it earlier):

Network Addressing Mode: NAT Enabled
    SonicWALL LAN IP Adress: 192.168...
    LAN Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WAN Gateway (Router) Address: 68.46.... (default gateway I pulled for the modem)
    SonicWALL WAN IP (NAT Public) Address: 68.46... (IP pulled from modem)
    WAN Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0 (also pulled from modem; notice the "254" difference)

DNS Server 1: 68.51... (pulled from modem)
    DNS Server 2: 68.51... (pulled from modem)

All that seems to be in order....Can't think of what else I could be missing just yet...