Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall software...

Don't enable both the buildin XP firewall (ICF is switched on by default on SP1) and ZoneAlarm at the same time. Enable one or the other but not both.
    I have had both on for over a year now but have never had any problems, probably doesn't do any good either, but still

Maybe I am getting to basic here but is it possible that they have :

1. Blocked access to internet explorer when it asked and ticked the remember this box

2. Hit the block all internet access button by accident.

3. Blocked schost.exe from the program control menu (this seems to cause problems with internet connections, although by defult ZA allows it)

I can't remember off hand where thee program access button is but I know its not hard to find , that would be your best place to start. Other than that if you are really stumped get a copy of Ethereal and don't forget to install Winpcap . That way you can watch exactly what the packets are doing. If you can't intrepret the results I or anywone on here would help you out

Banned
    May be a silly comment, but aren't you in China? Doesn't the Chinese government have this big-ass firewall to restrict internet access?

thx so much, UKnetSec
    It's u that give me confidence keeping on using Zone Alarm in XP
    I have three questions now:
    1,do u use Zone Alarm default set ?
    2,schost.exe ??I am sorry I can't find it in Program control menu,does it have another name ?
    3,when I use IE at first time , Zone Alarm tell me messenger will serve as a server, I just want
    to use IE and I don't hope messenger set as a server, what can I do ?thx~~

Originally posted here by Negative
    May be a silly comment, but aren't you in China? Doesn't the Chinese government have this big-ass firewall to restrict internet access?
    I am a newbie in Beijing ......
    Welcome to Beijing and let me treat u...

Two things:

1) Have ZA configured so that it asks you for permission before blocking/allowing anything. That way you can watch what it's monitoring.

2) Check your permissions to make sure what you want to connect (browser, mp3s, etc.) is being allowed.

Most beginners (and some vets) give up on ZA pretty fast because it has a tendancy to block a little too well. However, once you learn how to configure it the right way, it's a pretty powerful tool.

2,schost.exe ??I am sorry I can't find it in Program control menu,does it have another name ?
    Sorry that should have been svchost.exe, basically seems that svchost.exe starts up a lot of things including dnscache etc. seems like if this cannot access the internet you cannot use it.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...message.id=489

I have also had the same problem, but usually Zonealarm , at least the newest versionI have used comes out of the box with the config right for svchost.exe out of the box. Bascially it should be allowed access to the net but NOT server access, make sure of that or it could get nasty. If you are interested here are all the things svchost.exe can start (as taken from the above post).

http://www.igknight.com/articles/win...vchost_exe.php

3,when I use IE at first time , Zone Alarm tell me messenger will serve as a server, I just want
    Have not seen this before, IE and messenger service are unconnected as far as I know. The messenger service is used for sending and recieving network messages. I am not sure why that would ask to run as a server when you open IE, anybody ????

there seems to be some differences ...
    I still can't find the scvhost, maybe it has another name!!In program control menu,I have
    three active programs:messenger,ie and generic host process for win32 services..
    maybe scvhost is in system processes in property of my computer.
    and the alert :messenger trying to act as a server appears many times
    validation: known program
    application:msmsgs.exe
    source IP:.x.x.x.x(my ip)ort 8387
    thx for ur reply....

my ZA version is :5.0.590.015

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by UKnetSec
    I have had both on for over a year now but have never had any problems, probably doesn't do any good either, but still
    Try and enable an incoming connection and see how far you get
    You'll probably run into problems if you install SP2 too. The ICF has had a lot of improvements and I'm sure you'll run into conflicts as both programs will try and decide to dis/allow certain connections. ZA might allow it but ICF might block. Troubleshooting will be hell.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I see your point, I must admint I have never allowed incoming connections explicitly on my M$ box, it just doesn't feel safe, I may have a lot more experience with Windows that Linux but I always feel much safer enabling things like ssh on my Linux machine. Probably completely backwards because like I said I have much more MS experience so chances are my XP box is more secure than my Fedora or Mandrake boxes.

application:msmsgs.exe
    Ok that is MS instant messenger, that makes more sense, that usually treis to get out when you start an XP box unless you disable it, you can say not to that and it will not affect you Browser connection.

Sorry I am not using ZA pro so you get more info than me.

generic host process for win32 services
    The generic host process one is svchost.exe I believe, that should be allowed access but NOT server access, somebody correct me here if I am spouting madness again . what access does it currently have according to ZA?

I couldn't understand:

I am sure I didn't run icf...
    and my os is XP pro 2002 with sp1...
    and the alert is still appear,but the source IP port is different..