Thread: security+ certification

security+ certification

i m planning to take compTIA's Security+ examination. is it possible to give this exam without going to any training centre? i am pre-paring by self study method. i need some feed back like how to study for this exam, any sites, books all that can help anyone of us who wants to give this exam. i just need some certification on my hand. i am looking towards this exam as a entrance in security proffession.

I'm going to be taking this cert soon too. Probably towards the middle of the month.

It really depends on what you already know about security. I picked up a Security + exam cram book and it came with some practice tests on a CD. I put in the CD first, to see how difficult an exam like this might be. I passed both practice tests on my first try. I just wanted to see which areas I need to study.

However, I've already read quite a few books that are directly related to security. I've also been playing with this stuff at work and home for the past couple of years.

I've heard from people in the industry that the cert is crap. Its just a peice of paper that says you know how to read and memorize a book. Thats not going to stop me though... I think the more the better. College, work experience and some certs. The certs are not going to hurt...

IMO- You are going to need more than just security + cert to get into the security field though. There are lots of people who have a leg up on you because they have a college degree, work experience and the certs.

Overall... the cert doesn't appear that difficult and can't hurt you to have it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you know what you are doing take the exam with out training. IMHO all you need is the self study books (and experience) for any cert all a training center dose is help you memorise answers for the test if you want to do that go get brain dumps.

Note this is comeing from someone who worked as a trainer for a major training center for two years.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

As my esteemed colleagues have mentioned practical experience is the key to getting a security job. Paper certs mean very little to the people who matter the most, if that's all you have. Paper, even a degree, needs to be backed up in computers/networking/etc/etc with real life experience and know how.

By all means get your certs, they can and do help, but don't be disappointed if you're turned down in leiu of someone with no cert but two years of real experience.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

As my esteemed colleagues have mentioned
    Haha, I like that. Anyway's, I'll hafta agree with my "esteemed colleague" KorpDeath. Just because a piece of paper say's you can do something, when it's crunch time you need to know EXACTLY and thoroughly how to do it. Someone without one of these cert's could easily beat you to the punch of a job just because he has real life and lots more hands on experience.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Ok tell me this. Who do you think will mostly likely have more past experience?? A person with a cert or without.

A put my money on the person with.

Certs come with experience the majority of the time.
    The command completed successfully.

\"They drew first blood not me.\"

Originally posted here by br_fusion
    Ok tell me this. Who do you think will mostly likely have more past experience?? A person with a cert or without.

A put my money on the person with.

Certs come with experience the majority of the time.
    Not always.

I know someone who came to the US from Bangladesh and he wasn't allowed to work because of his visa. He had no choice but to go to school. He grabbed every cert he could find. MCSE, A+, Net+, CCNA, etc. He had 0 experience and could barely run his Windows 98 comptuer. He spent all his time memorizing these books to pass the tests. He passed each test and became certified. He could find a job nowhere. He had 0 experience and he had forgotten most of what he had memorized. He is still in school relearning everything and gaining experience as a lab tech in the student labs. He calls me for help all the time... with basic stuff that he should have gotten from his certs.

He is amazed at what I know and how I have no certs yet myself.
    (I'm no expert... I'm still learning and probably will be learning forever)

I'm going to fix that this summer and grab at least two... just to get some paper.
    I'll also have my degree in just a couple of courses...

However, I have almost 4 years experience just at work as a network admin/jack of all trades... not to mention the 4 years I've been going to school part time to get my degree.

I find I learn more than I could ever imagine at work. When I have a problem... I find out how to fix it or make it work better. When school is in session... I not only study what I'm supposed to... but I pick up a couple of other books to read and play with the knowledge gained throughout the school year. The summer is my favorite time... I get to work on my very long list of "things to do"... stuff that I've learned but never gotten to implement. A lot of the stuff I just don't have the hardware/resources to implement. But, I do what I can.

I just pick something up and roll with it until I know it inside and out.

Computer security is just one of those things that I really love... along with networking and computers themselves.

I've seen a lot of people at school just get into the field because they think they are going to earn tons of cash. I could care less about the $$. Thats just extra. As long as I make enough to survive... I'll be happy. Oh, and I have to be able to buy a couple of toys along the way. I love electronic devices. A lot of people I go to school with just learn what they have to and complete the course... without ever picking it back up and trying out some of the stuff for themselves.

No matter what the book says... 5 times out of 10... its not going to work the way the book says. There are too many things to take into consideration. Too many variables.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thankyou all of you for your comments and suggestions.
    I understand that along with certification practical knowledge is also necessary.
    I am living in India, where atleast at the first step people looks for the degree, certification than your knowledge. I am giving this exam basically for to get recognised. I know that my journy to this wonderful field called security just starts with this exam. i am a last yeasar student of a degree course, BCS, with the worst academic records. But what i want to do is to just devote myself to this field. i am passionate about computer security.
    I need all of your peoples help to continue this wondeful journey.
    I see towards this message board as a one of the blessing of my life.
    Once again thankyou for all you wonderful peoples...
    LOve yOu...