The Mysterious Dying Laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: The Mysterious Dying Laptop

  1. #1

    Question The Mysterious Dying Laptop

    This is kinda wierd.

    Old Pressario 1200 with W2k. Was working fine until today. System locked up on me, so badly I couldn't even turn the computer off. So, I removed the battery to shut the darn thing off then put it back in. Now it won't turn on, even when plugged into AC. Does this mean my batter just died, or could it be something else?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    63

    Maybe

    If the compute froze first, and than you took out the battery, the battery might be source of the problem. You might have taken the battery out at the wrong moment, maybe doing something as preventing the fan form working or soemthing which caued it to heat up and fry he ocmuter. If anything, I would first call for tech support and than get hte battery, cause an 89 cents call is a lot cheaper than 100 bucks.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Posts
    17,190
    Hi Angelic~

    When it "froze" was it showing a display screen of any sort?

    Was it attached to the mains?

    Are you getting any lights or sound out of it at the moment?

    Can you test the battery with a multimeter to see if it has any charge and what voltage/current is it giving?

    A bit strange, as I would have expected it to "die" rather than freeze.

    Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

  4. #4
    Yeah, it froze first. It was already chugging away on memory as it was and evidently just finally locked up. That's when I couldn't power down, and the only option left was removing the battery.

    So now the battery's back in, it's plugged into AC, and will not do anything at all when I hit power (and I can lay on the button all day). The only light that's on is the light acknowledging that it's plugged into an AC outlet. Unfortunately, we don't have a multimeter around here, that I know of anyway.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Posts
    17,190
    Hi Angelic~,

    Does the battery light come on? I don't know that make/model. Even with a failed battery, I would expect it to run from mains, unless there is no bypass, and the battery is pretty badly damaged.

    I am beginning to suspect a RAM failure as another possibility? although I would have expected some sort of bleeps from the BIOS perhaps? unless, of course it always booted silently? (I have an old Toshiba 486/75 that does that)

    The battery in it does not hold much of a charge, but the mains light and the battery light both come on when I plug it in. The battery light starts orange to indicate charging, then goes green.

    I find it hard to visualise such a catastrophic battery failure when the machine is not connected to the mains.............you generally get some prior warning?

    Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

  6. #6
    Nope, no battery light. All I have is the light for AC power. Wouldn't a RAM failure still allow the machine to power up though, just not boot properly? I'm getting no power whatsoever. I can hit the power button all day and the screen stays dead as a doornail.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Posts
    17,190
    Hi Angelic~,

    I take that to mean that there is a battery charging light, but it doesn't come on?

    That suggests that the battery is not getting power. I would remove the battery and darefully clean the contacts with isoproyl alcohol or trichoethylene (HDD or CD cleaning fluid ) Also clean the internal contacts in the battery compartment, use a q-tip or cotton bud.

    It is possible that there is some oxidation of the contacts as the machine is old. When you put it back the oxisised surfaces may be the problem?

    After you have done that, leave it connected to the main for a while and see if the battery gets warm (as you haven't got a multimeter) if it does, then power is getting to the battery, if not, then your power supply is suspect?................err I know you get the light, but that is probably power in?

    You might also like to try it without the battery? sometimes inserting or removing a battery will activate a bypass switch, but that is pretty old technology

    Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    107
    The only time something like this happened to me was when I was working on a desktop in one of the school's computer labs (it had some really bizarre issue with not booting properly and it would run the lights on the keyboard in sequence). I was doing some work to see if it was some kind of BSI or something that caused it and was swapping hard-drives with another machine. Well, when the machines went back together, one of them refused to power up for some unknown reason. I tried and tried to get it working again (because it wasn't actually approved IT work, one of the teachers just wanted me to fix it then and there). I checked the machine, everything was connected properly, everything seemed to work right, when I plugged in the PSU, the fans would spin once or twice and then stop, but when I pushed the power button, no success. The next day (without anyone touching the machine), it was working perfectly fine. Looks like it could have been overheating on that machine, and maybe that's the case with yours. Just let it sit in a cool area for a while and then try to power it on again.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Posts
    17,190
    Hah!

    I have just checked my old Toshiba. Because you removed the battery when it was in full flight you possibly "did it's 'ed in"

    Look around it for a little hole marked "reset" and stick something (preferably non-conductive) in there and give it a poke.

    It might be as simple as that?

    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

  10. #10
    No, haven't you realized reasonable answers never solve my problems?

    Tried pluggin it in without the batter. No change. And can't find so much as a hint of a reset button either. However, I did find the serial #, so at least I can go bug HP about it now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 Security News

     Patches

       Security Trends

         How-To

           Buying Guides