Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mysterious Dying Laptop

Well, I stumped the Compaq tech guy too! So it looks like I'm off to one of their service centers next...

Hi Angelic,

I just had a quick look at their support site:

The battery will not charge unless the AC adapter is connected correctly and working properly.

Check to ensure that both the A/C power adapter and battery are securely seated. The A/C adapter should be connected to a power outlet or surge protector.

Test the A/C power adapter by removing the battery from the notebook, leaving only the power cable connected. The notebook should function normally when the power adapter is connected and the battery is not inserted.

Discharge the capacitors by disconnecting the A/C power adaptor cord, removing the battery, and holding the Power button for 30 seconds. Reattach the power cord, and turn the notebook on.
    So it should work without the battery? As for a reset button, I did not find any diagrams. If there is one, it will be a small hole about the diameter of a cocktail stick.

You might try discharging the capacitors? as suggested.

Good luck

Yep, went through that with the tech support guy. She's till refusing to wake up, darn thing.

A few additional thoughts,

Have you checked if the battery gets warm? and can you attach something like a system fan to the power supply then power up and see if it runs (with the battery removed).

Have a look at the power switch itself, is it making contact, is it clean?

Is there a jumper switch to reset the CMOS?

As it is an old machine when did you last change the CMOS battery (if it has one)

Good luck

EDIT: Even without RAM and a processor, I would still expect it to try to charge the battery?

Battey's cold, and that's after the laptop being connected to the charger several hours.

As for the rest, I can't get inside the machine to check. Spent over an hour trying to get it open, but evidently it's not designed for anyone to get into.

Regal Making Handler
    Hi Angelic,

I have had a very similar problem with my daughters Presario. Which isn't so old. Looking at what has been posted on other forums it would seem that this is an issue. Although Compaq will not aknowledge it as such.

The problem looks as if it is the poweer supply and how it is rectified to recharge the battery. Compaq recon to fix this takes a new mother board but i fixed my daughters by giving it a gentle drop on to a hard surface.

Have a look at the lid to see if it is cracking around the hinge.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The hinge being the one by which the monitor flips up, right? No cracks, but one of the hinge coverings is missing.