Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trnsltr

Banned

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Well duh. It's from a FICTION novel. While Dan Brown does research (he did use two NSA agents apparently for the research on Digital Fortress, which is the book that talks about trnsltr), remember that it is a piece of fiction. NSA has some pretty amazing equipment no doubt and will probably have some of the best out there. But I doubt that the specifics are available online. In addition, the book is dated (1998) so what existed then, may not exist today. I'd guess more towards AI and such in regards to encryption and such.

T6 lines?
    Looks like I found a new book for the beach.
    Technical books are nice... but semi-technical thrillers are even better.

Yea... T6 lines... you know, when you take two T3 lines and tie them together.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    AFAIK, it was never cracked. But doesn't mean that it can't be. Keep in mind there is a difference between being unable to crack a code and not having the resources to crack it. The concept suggested in Digital Fortress meant that even Brute Force wouldn't break it -- and THAT is unbreakable. The same would apply to Quantum Crypto because of the multi-state of the data.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

As of today, there is no such thing as unbreakable. Difficult and long yes but unbreakable no.
    That's right, as of today thas very true. Nothing is totally 100% secure and uncrackable/breakable. MsMitten's I'd have to agree with that statement entirely and second it. That's something that newbie's and anyone involved in security should know without doubt.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    i know this is not a relevant source but it's interesting though:

The higher the number, the more powerful the line is. T1 and T3 are most common. T2 exists, but it's not very common, or obsolete, I suppose.

I hear they go as high as T6 (government lines) but I could be wrong there.

http://www.nhforums.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=6

Yea... T6 lines... you know, when you take two T3 lines and tie them together.
    Ya. And so? I don't understand what's so special about them when there are OC12 lines out there (I nearly went working for a company that had those).

For those unaware:

T-3 = up to 45 Mbps
    OC12 = 622 Mbps
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

just to clarify:
    "current" unbreakable = time to break those passwords its too big comparing with the information need.
    That means, if i need the information on this month, i will spend 3 months to break to cypher. So, its "unbreakable".
    Those one time password, used to encrypt just one message (obvious) its considered "unbreakable" because of this. Timed information...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Sorry... meant it as a joke... a poor one at that.

maybe the joke is on me and there really are t6 lines... I've just never heard about them...

http://www.k-d-r.com/tek/info/comm-line-speeds.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

So, uh, when are we gonna start talking about Eschelon?

*Armed troops crash in through the windows*

Oh no!!! I said it!!!

I thought it was Carnivore? too many freakin' names.

Meh. If the NSA really has a bone to pick with me, they are welcomed to visit. Just as long as they bring the picnic basket 'cuz I ain't feeding 'em.