Thread: partition table signature?

partition table signature?

I'm trying to reformat and install 2000 server onto an old box....
    Currently it has 256mb RAM, 4 gig hardrive. It's not meant to be anything fancy, just a server for the home network.....possibly a firewall eventually.
    The problem is that when setup inspects hardware configuration it comes back with one of the following errors:
    "invalid partition table signature, setup cannot continue"
    "Files setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 7"

I've tried: booting to boot disk, resetting bios, booting to xp/2000 cd, installing Dos 6.2....all resulting in no change.

A scandisk returns no problems on drive C. I've completly removed the jumper, hoping this is okay for a single drive...cause there is no diagram on the drive.

Anybody have any ideas??

(ps...it's a compaq presario 4504 desktop)
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Have a look at this site, its for win xp but it imagine that the fault and remedy will be the same!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181

hope it helps

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

"invalid partition table signature, setup cannot continue"
    Have you tried deleteing all the partations . If not i would suggest you Boot Your Computer with a BootUp disk and use Fdisk to remove the partatiions Then create them againn then try to format them...See if it solves the Problem

Have you recently aded any new device Especially any PCI device........If yes then check if it is compatable with the OS.........

"Files setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 7"
    How long since you have used a CD cleaner..........Just a guess though....dirty CD-ROM.....

Removing all the Jumpers in most of the Disks i know makes them Slave... It's different Bor Different Brands ........In "Seagate" Hardisks removing all the Jumpers will make it a Salve.......Can you tell what Hard Disk is it..............It should have a Chart on it generally all of them have ... never seen a disk without a chart on it before...... i don't think it will make any Difference......Put the jumper back.Make it The Primary Master......

--Good Luck--

I wouldnt bother messing with your partitions or jumpers the fault is due to a hardware failure or a peice of hardware that isnt compatable with 2000 server, if you follow the "remedy steps" in the link i posted earlier you should find the culprit, you will prob find that as you are installing 2000 onto an old box something inside it just dosent like it!

if you post all your system specs and hardware installed it may be obvious what the culprit is and easier that stripping your computer down!

AntiOnline n00b
    # Shut down your computer, and then remove all the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) devices.
    # Restart your computer.

* If Windows starts successfully, shut down your computer, and then reinstall the PCI devices one at a time. Start Windows after the installation of each device. When you install a device that causes the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section, remove that device, and then continue to install the other PCI devices.
    * If Windows does not start successfully, remove one or more of the memory modules that are installed in your computer. Leave sufficient RAM for your computer to start and run Windows XP.

Note Windows XP requires 128 megabytes (MB) RAM. The minimum is 64 MB and the maximum is 4 gigabytes (GB).
    Originally posted here by Nokia
    if you post all your system specs and hardware installed it may be obvious what the culprit is and easier that stripping your computer down!

Hey Nokia are you sure Because because the troubleshoot method it gives makes you to strip your Computer down to every inch ..........j/k

This Method would be easier to do If Windows 2000 Gets Installed and then Start to act weird.......But it's not installiing at all......... ..

And he has Compaq Presario 4504 desktop..... Though It meets The Minimum Requirements For Installing Wiindows2000 But Still H.P. dosen't Gurantee the Working Of Windows2000/XP on it's system.......I personally Never had any problem Upgrading them to windows 2000 (Server/Advanced Server)......I have installled Windows 2000 in a few Compaq Machines

The following guidelines are provided to Compaq customers who are considering whether to upgrade an existing Compaq Presario Desktop PC to Windows XP. The purpose of this document is to help minimize frustration and surprises if the decision is made to upgrade to Windows XP. Anyone considering this upgrade should do so carefully. Although many Compaq Presario Desktop PCs may meet the minimum requirements recommended by Microsoft for upgrade to Windows XP, upgrading is not recommended for all PCs, especially where the base platform has not been tested and qualified by Compaq for use with Windows XP.

Hes just go to take his PCI cards out!?!?!?

If he takes anything else out the computer wont start!

But if he posts what pci cards he has it may become apparent what the problem is as there are issues of certain PCI cards or NIC to be exact that dont work with 2000 server .

Its not installing at all because as he says, when setup inspects the HARDWARE it is coming up with an error!

what i would do faqt is take all your PCI cards out, just leave your graphics card in and then try and install windows, see what happens then mate!

I finally managed to get the drive formatted....I pulled it and put it in my main box as a slave and then formatted it from windows.
    It's wiped clean now, but won't take a new OS (not even an install of DOS) so...I'm assuming it's a hardware issue with the drive and moving on.

I tried stripping the thing down.....that's not easy with these things. I have small hands and had plenty of trouble getting into the case.

It's generally been a frustrating experience to say the least. lol...guess I've learned quite a bit though.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.