Thread: restricted Ports?

restricted Ports?

Hi,

I work in a school, and our ISP (who provides net access for 1000's of schools) runs a heavily restricted system I wnt to use IRC but the only ports I have open are 80 and that is restricted, is there a way I can make use of other ports on my system? I have read about tuneeling but im not sure how to implement it?

Thanx

Hi,

Why do you want to run IRC specifically? Have you considered something like netmeeting and VPN?

I would suggest that you talk to your systems administrators about your requirements, as your ISP will have an SLA with their customers, and you must not violate your side of the agreement. I would imagine that the security you mention is part of this agreement?

Cheers

EDIT: The point I am making is that the ISP is contracted to provide a "secure" system, and that if you compromise that security you are compromising the security of all their customers. If you want something as flaky as IRC, I would suggest a simple machine with a dial-up connection off your network, then there is no compromise?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If you want something as flaky as IRC, I would suggest a simple machine with a dial-up connection off your network, then there is no compromise?
    I'm assuming that you mean not connected to his network? (Just clarifying).

The other thing is, I don't think he wants to run IRC but rather connect to an IRC server. He could use SSH tunnelling (I do this to bypass the schools connection and to ensure that my students aren't sniffing mine! ) Just google "SSH Tunnelling Tutorials" and you'll find lots. That said, don't be surprised however if the admin admonishes you for breaking the AUP.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes MsM I meant a stand alone machine not connected to the schools networks. It is the solution we use in the defence sector..............no network card keeps the spooks happy and there is no user resistance because the more PCs you have in your office, the cooler you must be?

What worried me was he said thousands of schools.............that sounds like bulk purchase of standard package to me?

Yes SSH tunnelling is an option..............so is getting fired? OK we don't know the SLA/AUP terms, but I would say an official VPN connection if you are going to use the network, otherwise a stand alone solution is the easiest and cheapest way to avoid security compromises?

Yep, I'm paranoid.................if it hits the fan and they find YOUR tunnel first, that's the smoking gun

Cheers

phobophiliac be very careful.
    IRC port may have been intentionally restricted cause your school admins does not believe it's valuable for knowledge and may be at risk for some kids. There are many story of pedophile assaults resulting of innocent IRC chats...

Anyway admins knows about tunneling work around and may have a moniotoring tools dedicated to trap any event looking like it. You may get trouble and don't believe they would indulgent because you exploit the system, tunnelling is much too well known from many years.

No offense
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]