Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing a novel

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This reminds me of an episode of Millenium. The Episode is The Mikado and the killer, The Avatar, kills his victims live on the Internet for the thrill of seeing the hits go up. The hunt is on for the Avatar since he's done this before the Internet came around.

No, you cannot have a site 24/7 that is undetectable. It would take a immense abount of hacking and log hiding with the ISP to do so, and would probably be a full time job maintaining that cover.
    I'm surprised no one thought of this: a reverse proxy server. Traditionally proxy server are used by individuals to hid themselves from servers, as a form of privacy. Well the same can be done in reverse: to hid the true source of the server. If you type "Reverse proxy" into google you'll find tonnes of references. As for tracing a person down to their physical address, this gets into the realm of court warrants and such. An ISP will know which subscriber will have what address via their DHCP, but I doubt they'll give it out without a court issued warrant.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Then take Ms. Mittens idea a step further. He uses a reverse proxy to a web site he has compromised. He has left the web site intact but placed his addiditional pages on the web site too. The owner can be like many who never really check anything but the "expected" content of their site and he has turned off logging so that the additional requests don't show up there in case anyone looks at the logs. He may rotate reverse proxy servers too to avoid the police getting the original information.

He, of course is somewhere else, distantly remote, and adds/changes his pages via ftp/secureftp via other proxy servers in different countries thus slowing down the police's efforts to track the originator.

Maybe, on one occasion they get too close to the web site so he compromises another computer in another country and moves his content there.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Take the idea of senior here using a hideout concept.
    Bad guy has a series (a lot) of compromised machines and he just keep moving from one to another, making harder someone trace him back. He, lets supose, wil stay on each hideout one day, do his stuff, and move on.
    He can use a DDNS to keep his pointer up to date.
    He doesnt need to hide the place, since he is not there (is a someone else computer)
    This a concept of some p2p index servers. keep moving is the key to avoid get caught
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

May I suggest you change the situation to a rogue wireless pc driving thru a major metroplitan area (having previously gained info on sites thru the route and already prepared to access thru them at a perdetermined time).
    With the growth of home based wireless network (and most home users inability to secure their access) it's possible to conceive of a time in the not too distant future when you can drive from Boston to NY to Washington (thru the back roads nearer to homes) and have a continuous wireless access connection.

Originally posted here by w-mellon
    May I suggest you change the situation to a rogue wireless pc driving thru a major metroplitan area (having previously gained info on sites thru the route and already prepared to access thru them at a perdetermined time).
    With the growth of home based wireless network (and most home users inability to secure their access) it's possible to conceive of a time in the not too distant future when you can drive from Boston to NY to Washington (thru the back roads nearer to homes) and have a continuous wireless access connection.
    Nice idea.
    And the good guy (i dont know if there is one) can caught the bad guy just mapping all routes and wardriving thru it using some gadgets...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just wondering, if he hides his website what is the use of posting his killings or misdeeds? Is he toying with the cops?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just wondering, if he hides his website what is the use of posting his killings or misdeeds? Is he toying with the cops?
    The website is seen but the true address is hidden. Thus making him anonymous and more difficult to track down. Then the killer can taunt the cops all he wants. In the example I gave from the TV Show Millenium, the killer put clues behind the heads of each of his victims, hoping to taunt the main investigator Frank Black. Black had been an investigator on the original hunt for the Avatar. So this kind of concept isn't new but done differently. I think in the book Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver, the killer used the internet as the source of where the attacker found his victims.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think a cool twist would be the killer (an elite blackhat hacker) is also loved by everyone he meets and it amazing at social engineering and can get access to most computers in which he uses to hack large corp sites (i.e. MSN) and when he does this he will post his latest victim or whatever on the site so that innocent people just going to the site are greeted by pictures which would normally be seen on a site like houseofgore.com this means that he is not having to own any site or anything but uses others site. That means whenever they track down where the hack came from he is far gone by then. Also if you had close calls like him walking by the "agents" and talking with them as they are trying to bust the hacker which is him but they have no idea sorta like a thriller type deal.

I think this would make it easier and would take a lot less explaining and add an suspence element to the novel. I am not sure if that is what you looking for.

Imagine ebaying and see your buddy all torn up from a chainsaw or some **** like that on the front page........hmmmm...

- Adiz
    Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"

wow, all excellent ideas, what can i say. You have all given me much to search out. Some of you have made references to certain aspects that are in the story already!!
    I watched deathdotcom, and lucky for me it is very different to the book im writing. I found the movie a let down, some great visual ideas though.
    I did notice they do not really explain in any depth the way the doctor is able to have his site up with out getting busted, except to mention he is constantly changing its address.
    Anyway.
    The killer is using the web to put his message out, he is also taunting both the detective assigned to his case and the crackers/ hackers who have taken the up the challenge to crack into his broadcasts. He does not use the internet to find his victims, hes a bit more old fashioned, ie stalking, opportunity etc.
    I have seen that ep of Millenium and this is a different beast. But thankyou for the suggestion.
    I am aware that the idea of a killer using the internet is not new, this aspect of the story is not the central idea, more a means of exposure for the killer. A way for him to make everyone aware of his power and his ability to control (ie stroke his ego)
    Once again thankyou all for you enthusiastic reponses and positive suggestions. If you would like i can in future post up some excerts for you to take a look at. I will continue to check back, and will not forget the assistance i have recieved from Anti Online. (maybe AO need to be in the book, if not by this name but one similar so as not to infringe on copyright)

thanks mittens, good idea.