Thread: what will you do to speed up your 2000?

Arrow what will you do to speed up your 2000?

Goodaday
    what will you do to speed up your 2000?

I have defragmented my C drive.
    I have uncheck "Allowing Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching"
    coz i doesnt use it.
    I have clean done disk cleanup
    I have scanned spybot and adware
    I have clean up my cookies folder
    Clear all event from Event viewers

Still kinda slow.
    Used to be faster.

Need some tips, what have i not done?

Thankyou.
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

try this

START >RUN>MSCONFIG

select
    SELECTIVE START UP
    look at the start up items and uncheck all the items which you do not need at start up ( like yahoo messenger , msn messenger , other stuff) and the start up

SAVE THE CHANGES
    restart
    and see if you find any change
    if you are not satisfied the you can always go back and undo the changes by selecting normal start up
    c ya

try this

START >RUN>MSCONFIG

select
    SELECTIVE START UP
    look at the start up items and uncheck all the items which you do not need at start up ( like yahoo messenger , msn messenger , other stuff) and the start up

SAVE THE CHANGES
    restart
    and see if you find any change
    if you are not satisfied the you can always go back and undo the changes by selecting normal start up
    c ya
    this doesn't work with windows 2000, you'll have to do it manually via the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

and of course, c:\winnt\documents and settings\<your username>\start menu\programs\startup\

you can also type services.msc at the run box, and prevent the services you don't need from starting up, this would help a bit too

Hi,

What are your hardware specifications: RAM, Hard Drive/Available space on HDD?

As suggested, remove unwanted items from startup.........like the MS Office toolbar, FindFast (can't remember if that ships with 2K?)

If you only connect to the internet periodically for discrete sessions ( I mean, you are not permanently connected, or frequently looking things up etc.) then you can possibly turn off your software firewall, and only activate it when you need it. Same goes for pop-up stoppers.

Make sure you are only running one firewall and AV product at any one time.

Defragment in safe mode, so a lot of things that are normally active/locked get defragmented.........classic is the AV pattern file.

If you have been loading and unloading a lot of software then compacting the registry hive can help.

Uninstall any time expired trial software as it may be trying to phone home or send you a nag message.

Check what you have running as scheduled tasks, and consider re-scheduling or running them manually.

Just a few thoughts....

Easy way to see whats running at startup in 2k.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Thumbs up Kudos CXGJarrod

Easy way to see whats running at startup in 2k.
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    CXGJarrod, i couldnt have said it better, this util is excellent and i've been using for a long time now! Kudos to you on that one! the program is fool proof, and i really like the fact that this util does not have you restart the computer , this util also works in other operating systems, as a way to get around the M$ restart hassle :-D
    [gloworange]Antyx[/gloworange] .. formerly lupdawg

Also in Spybot S&D under the Tools section there's a system startup manager. Basically it lists the contents of all registry keys that programs can start up from.

Look at Windows 2000 Tweaks from Winguides.com

mjk

I would also see what is loading on startup by the way described above. However, your ram speed plays a large factor in computer speed. If you let me us know you ram we could better help you.

[Side Note]
    Remember to look for spyware or malware that can definately slow your system speed.
    [/Side Note]

- Adiz
    Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"