Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows xp pro; guest can read files

windows xp pro; guest can read files

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that on my computer, the guest account is able to read all the files on the entire computer (including other account's files). I'm sure that this is not right, but why is it doing that?

I'm using Windows XP pro, and I'm not connected to any domain.

Any ideas?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

just disable the guest account if you don't need it... otherwise you can use EFS for important files...
    also you can disable even more for the guest account with gpedit.msc

I don't think he's asking how to fix it, he's asking why it's doing that...

I have no clue....
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

When you create a new account in win xp it asks you "Do you want to keep your files private" or something along them lines, if you dont select this option i think that your files are readable to everyone but if you do select this option only you and administrators can view your files.

Even though the guest account can view your files they shouldt be able to alter them, if they can you have a serious security miss-setting somewhere!

Use the gpedit.msc feature as someone has already suggested and see what limitations are on the guest account.
    if this is in order, select the individual accounts and make their folders/files private.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I seem to recall that the guest account ships with it set to 'disabled'

This would suggest that your settings have been adjusted ?
    Unless you are just checking through your system ?

The guest account is seen as a problem, because it is there.........Why ?

It is an easier account to compromise, as it is not always checked as carefully as it should be. Any intruder, or 'guest', can see around your system. They might not be able to change anything, BUT, they can look around.

I would make sure that it is disabled, DO NOT use the deny button, until you are CERTAIN of what you will achieve, as the permission set up is 'least restrictive' applies to users,
    and 'most restrictive' applies to groups.

[runs off to check]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well although I don't have XP I have 2000 Pro and although I've never used the guest account (EVER) I think that it just can't access files on that users desktop or my documents folder. But in Win2000 (don't know about XP) you can set the file to only be access by one user or all users except Guest (right click+properties+security). Hope it helps
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Ok I don't know what is wrong with my computer but I know this isn't right. I disabled the Guest account, and created another account called Guest1, and gave it "limited priviliges". Then, I logged onto it and I had full read/write access to the ENTIRE system. What the heck??

I did go into gpedit.msc, but I didn't know what to look for or disable, etc...

-The Sawshank Redemption

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    By default, the Guest account has the same access level as the Users group. There is no mistake. Look at the security tab on your files that the Guest account supposedly does not have access to and I bet you'll see "Users" in there.

If you are telling us that the Guest account has access to system files and other Administrative areas of the box, then certainly, someone has mucked around with your ACLs.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Ok, I'm lost. There is no security tab. Can someone give me a link to some sort of tutorial or website explaining this stuff so I can find out what's wrong?

-The Sawshank Redemption