Thread: Free Trojan Scanners

Question Free Trojan Scanners

Hello all...

I'm currently in search of a free trojan/malware scanner for Windows 98se/XP, that works well with Norton AntiVirus. In addition to NAV, I'm also using Spybot, Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster.

I know this topic has been discussed a million times, but I'm hoping those of you who also use NAV wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts as to which scanner you feel is best?

Answers supported with reasons why you feel the scanner you use is "best", would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Hi,

I can't say that I have come across a good free one. Trojans are a bit difficult, the best IMHO is TDS3 from DiamondCS, put you have to pay for it.

I take your point about NAV, it frequently conflicts with other security software if they are trying to do the same thing, so turn it off before using the other software. Moosoft's "The Cleaner" is also pretty good, but you have to pay for it.

A reasonable compromise is to regularly run Trend Micro's "Housecall" and Panda's online scanner. They will pick up quite a few that NAV will miss. Also get RegistryProt from :

http://www.diamondcs.com.au

It can warn you when a problem has arrived that you need to fix.......it IS free.

Also:

http://digilander.libero.it/zancart

You are looking for "Winsonar", it warns you when a background process launches.

You don't mention a firewall? you need one that warns you when something tries to "phone home"

Good luck

I prefer a certain Trojan Scanner called SwatIt. It's a great Trojan/Bot/Worm remover that work's great at finding infected files and at updating the definition's. To download it, go here. Enjoy and I hope I helped ya out a little bit
    Space For Rent.. =]

Regal Making Handler
    Just to add to Nihils post. Tds3 is available to download as shareware, i think its a 30 day free trial, though i had it for about a year before i regestered it.

For the price it's exellent, works well with Nav although i don't run it from startup as i do with Nav. I have never turned Nav off when i use it. I let Nav do the Auto protect and i run a full scan with Tds3 regularly and when i am suspicious. I also use Tds3 for ping, tracerout, whois and some times to send email. It does alot more also, to much to list here without sounding like a salesman.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Yes, SwatIT is cool.

Also (hot of the press)

http://www.pestpatrol.com/

They now do a free online scan called "pestscan"?

Green blobs lower left and upper right on the main page.

Good luck

My only warning about SwatIT (based on an old free copy I have) is that it is very thorough, but takes a long time to run, so make sure you shut down everything else first

Yeah, it is long (depending on how much used space you have). It's really long because of it's thoroughness though and if you ask me it's worth it. Like nihil suggested, perform the scan when you shut everything down and plan to have the computer on for awhile.
    Space For Rent.. =]