Thread: Network Problem Need Assistance

Question Network Problem Need Assistance

Hi Guys,

I need assistance here. I have a network connected to a provider through E1 Rad Modem (Lease Line) connection through optic wire, then goes to ADC DataSmart kentrox bandwidth monitor, then through cisco router which was been configure and support Serial Interface, Network i.e. Ethernet and Async Modem Interface Card for end users (subscribers) to dial in to the platform, just a small network that has 128Kbps of Internet access.

I am having this problem for a while now, slowness of the internet access. I have sygate firewall installed on my admin system for filtering and incoming access to the system, what the systems is receiving is not more than 1.5k of the access and that makes the service to be very slow even if I quite the sygate firewall, the access don’t improve anymore…

The network is free of virus because we don’t allow rubbish to come into the network and we are very caution on that…

Now, I removed all the other systems on the network in other to see if any system is broadcasting more than other systems and I also disable the Async interface so that no any incoming call will access the platform from outside, still its does not improve a bit.

I am in doubt on what the problem is: -

1. I am suspecting the provider is not given me 128Kbps of what I am paying.
    2. Providers’ service is no longer efficient and quality
    3. Is there anything that will be eating up the bandwidth e.g. My cisco router?

I am seriously in need of solution to this problem Guys.

Thank You

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Take everything you can out of the picture and visit www.dslreports.com and run the speed test. That will give you an idea of the speed. If it isn't as advertized then call the provider. If it is then begin adding devices until you notice the speed drop and work from there.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks Tiger Shark I will do that, but I need more help guys to this problem....

I was on one the servers and when I use sygate firewall bandwidth monitor to see the incoming access, before during the day time, is just giving me 1.5K while now that is about 2023hours i am getting up to 9k on each system. To my guess and suspecting, my provider are not giving me good service.

But still need help guys!!!!!!

What is the setup on the Kentrox? Is it a CSU/DSU? Make sure youre channels = 128k as far as your AOR of the WAN goes. The ISP, hereafter refered to as 'They', have given you a default gateway for your router. Use wan killer from solarwinds to saturate the link both ways to see what kind of BW they are giving you. If it's close to 128k, use wan killer to test the LAN, watch you interface counters on the Cisco to how many Packet per Sec. you are getting.

Check the usual suspects. DNS response time, large temp internet files. My guess is that 'they' are oversubscribing BW, or they have a very low burst rate on the link, does your connection improve during off peak hours?

The Bunny,

Yes it does improve during off peak hours like in the evenning time and early morning hours.

The Kentrox is CSU/DSU, I will try using the solarwind and see how it will behave...

Still need more tech support guys till I get to the problem.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    usmany: have you sniffed the traffic to see what is actually moving around? You could use Windump or Ethereal. You might find something eating bandwidth in the background.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Guys, thanks for all da help... found out there is a system on the network .i.e. server that has virus, but i fixed it up.

Thanks guys and to antionline

Originally posted here by usmany
    Guys, thanks for all da help... found out there is a system on the network .i.e. server that has virus, but i fixed it up.

Thanks guys and to antionline
    While in your first post:
    The network is free of virus because we don’t allow rubbish to come into the network and we are very caution on that…
    Ooooppppssss.....guess you weren't quite cautious enough. All ways a good idea to check what you assume to be impossible also.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown