Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardening NTFS Permission

AO French Antique News Whore
    Arg! This is not what I want Tiger! *cry*

I want to secure the NTFS permission. My password are secure, my guest is rename, my service are dead, my locally policy setting are done. The machine I want to secure is a Terminal Server where 15-20 peoples log on. They run all their software from the Terminal. I want to secure that Terminal by changing their NTFS permission on folder/program terminal user don't need that Windows install!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    SDK: Sorry.... Don't cry.

I was going through what I normally do to start on my Terminal Services Servers when I came across this little "feature"..... I just added it in.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I'm just sad! Maybe I should change my mood to

Sad -- Searching NTFS Permission.

Software vendor never provide any info on the NTFS permission need to run their software and everything...
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Have you taken a look at the NSA's guides to securing win2k?

They have specific documents for www.conxion.com/win2k/guides/w2k-18.pdf]securing a terminal services server [/URL] and plenty of other documents in regards to www.conxion.com/win2k/guides/w2k-8.pdf]file system resources[/URL]...

http://nsa2.www.conxion.com/win2k/download.htm

They even have the policies that you can apply..

Beware: Make sure to read the docs before you apply a policy...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Good stuff phishphreek80 but I'll give you a good example of what I want..

If you guy download the attachement and open AO.doc, you'll see exactly what I want. The info inside the document look incorrect to me but that exactly what I'm looking for.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Anyone got anything?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I got milk...

I also got a whole cooler full of beer!

But... I suppose thats not quite what you're looking for...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Not really? I got a love?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Bump! I warn you! I'm gonna bump this thread over and over until... That probably the last time since getting information on NTFS permission for a software is more painful that *fill the cap with your worse nightmare, fear, etc etc*
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Since everyone has thrown in everything but the kitchen sink, here is one more item to float in the puddle...

Go out and DL everyone2user. This tool sets a good baseline for locking down the rest of the box. It does precisely what the name implies. It will comb through the entire box and change the everyone NTFS permission to User. Once you do that, you can apply all the techniques here that you aren't looking for.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden