i recently downloaded all 7 of the latest debian and the 2 freebsd iso's.

first
being a linux noobie, i am only familiar with the graphical intallation of redhat 9.

since i found out redhat won't up2date redhat anymore i want to switch to something else.

i successfully installed freebsd, however it was only text based, i did not see any options to install a gui or anything like that. i need a gui.

i successfully installed debian aswell, however it too was only text based.
So with persistance i tried to install once again and switched every friggen disc for package scaning or something once again.

i think i started installing the packs correctly because it said something like 500 or so new packages to install 0 updated bla bla bla...

i ran into trouble though when later is asked me to configure my keyboard(strange because i thought i did this at the begining) so i selected an option like leave it only and pressed enter and it went back to the screen that showed me all the keyboard layouts so i selected a different choice and but it when back to the previous screen like it did before. i repeated this a few times but then i couldn't even use my keyboard!

i was forced to shut the power off and powered back up with no discs in the drive it then back to the same screen and the keyboard still didn't work.

what wen wrong with my debian installation?
how do i get a gui for freebsd?

p.s. im downloading the fedora core 2 because i know how easy it will be to install but would sincerely like to try these and other distro's.

please help
thank you very much in advance